Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
If you plan to shoot it, let us know how that ion bond finish holds up to use.
We had a big discussion on the change from Ionbond vs. the Cerakote some time
back. Looks great!

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
Very nice. Octopushighball is our Colt Forum master of CQB custom shop collector .. he doesn’t call himself that, but if I may give that title.. he’s one heckava cqb collector and knows his stuff. He’s talked about that gun before and I’m sure he’s got one or had one.
Those all black Ionbond was a good snag.
Did you get the outer shipping box with it by chance, as it would have a label on it?

The smaller pasteboard/cardboard box in some of your photos to prop the gun.. is that to a decommissioned CQB ? I’m thinking you might have some more cqb’s

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
Octopushighball must own at least one of every variation of the CQB that Colt has produced...maybe a couple variations Colt doesn't know they've made as well. :p

·
Premium Member
20,528 Posts
Is it the chemical nature of the ion in IonBonding that gives rise to the different colors? I see that the Brownish IonBond finish often has Zinc associated with it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Very nice. Octopushighball is our Colt Forum master of CQB custom shop collector .. he doesn’t call himself that, but if I may give that title.. he’s one heckava cqb collector and knows his stuff. He’s talked about that gun before and I’m sure he’s got one or had one.
Those all black Ionbond was a good snag.
Did you get the outer shipping box with it by chance, as it would have a label on it?

The smaller pasteboard/cardboard box in some of your photos to prop the gun.. is that to a decommissioned CQB ? I’m thinking you might have some more cqb’s
I do not have the outer cardboard box with the end label,
I have 4 total M45A1's CQBP, 3 CCS in the pelican case,
USMC Cerakote Fnish, M45A1 Bronze Finish, M45A1 Black Ionbond, NIB Decommissioned USMC
I spoke to the OCTO man "Steve" about this pistol, low 4 digit serial number with the black ionbond finsh

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you plan to shoot it, let us know how that ion bond finish holds up to use.
We had a big discussion on the change from Ionbond vs. the Cerakote some time
back. Looks great!
No plans to shoot it, Thank You

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
With that collection, it doesn’t surprise me that you’ve made acquaintance with OHB.

My collection is far from a completed CQB set ... ( is there such a thing !) but I’ve been happy and fortunate to make some early lucky moves. I acquired both civilian pelican cased CCS in M45A1 and USMC rollmarked when they hit my local shop. Cerakote floor model CQB when things were cruising along still.
Then the Ionbond hit the market.
I got real lucky again when I snagged a used decommissioned CQB at the first listed price - still thank Brent for giving his blessing quickly that they were legit. As you know, they got expensive real quick .
That middle of the work day listing of the NIB decommissioned caused me to miss the turn and I didn’t get one and passed on latter higher priced listings.
Since then I did bring home the gray/black two Tone CCS CQB , even though they seem to be slow movers.

Somewhere in the mix I did get the RGZ custom shop, which has sufficed as a real good stand in for the Black Ionbond CCS that I missed.
Colt just did so many variations that no way that I could get them all, especially being as I’m into other model Colts too

The Black Ionbond CCS is one to be proud of.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That's a very early serial number on yours mine is from in the 11000 serial number range. Yours is from when the cqbs were still made as cerakote guns. How cool. Mine has a 3.5 pound trigger on it. Yes I've shot it. How did you locate such a low serial number. Very good find.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
That's a very early serial number on yours mine is from in the 11000 serial number range. Yours is from when the cqbs were still made as cerakote guns. How cool. Mine has a 3.5 pound trigger on it. Yes I've shot it. How did you locate such a low serial number. Very good find.
I acquired this M45A1 from a collector I know that told me he had a low early 4 digit serial number.

There is no bar-code or serial number on the back inside frame under the man spring housing, have you checked under yours

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
I acquired this M45A1 from a collector I know that told me he had a low early 4 digit serial number.

There is no bar-code or serial number on the back inside frame under the man spring housing, have you checked under yours

Boy I've been asleep at the wheel to miss two great tear-down threads from RPD57!

Interesting that this is also earliest Black IonBond frame I know of, and no Q-Code on the back strap under the MSH. Now we know approx serial number the Q-code shows up in, somewhere between 8242 and 9977. Maybe I'll tear down 09004EGA and see if I can narrow it down even more... I just hate to tear down a Cerakote gun though.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Is it the chemical nature of the ion in IonBonding that gives rise to the different colors? I see that the Brownish IonBond finish often has Zinc associated with it.
There is a great deal of information on the PVD finish method/process on the web. I think some have even assigned a different acronym for the color process to differentiate it from the original black process. The VD stands for vapor deposition. IonBond is only a trade name. Others are doing PVD now.

Firearms | Ionbond

What is PVD Coating? | PVD Material | Advanced Coating Service

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, from the info that the Octopushighball has stated, one distributor placed the order for the black ionbond finish
Lipsey’s must be it, The only way to know if they all went to the same distributor is to see other factory lettered serial numbered black finish ionbond pistols.It seems kind of odd that if you placed an order for 200 or 250 pistols you would ship them in small odd quantities.But Look how out of sequence the serial numbers are used.
If another member has a letter I would like to see it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts