Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks for showing the serial number under mainspring housing. That custom shop model is one of the rarer ones to find. Let us know imfo when you find out.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for showing the serial number under mainspring housing. That custom shop model is one of the rarer ones to find. Let us know imfo when you find out.
I will add the letter photo info when they arrive

·
Registered
10,833 Posts
How do you tell whether it's a Novak safety? Both my CQB pistols have ambidextrous safeties and look like that...they're not marked.

Reactions: ei8ht and RPD57

·
Registered
93 Posts
Look at the right side of the guns safety lever. The serial number side. It has a distinctive look all to itself when it's a Novak safety. Did not proof read. What I should have typed is the ion bond custom shop m45a1s are pretty rare. You just don't see them up for sale very often.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I agree that they didn't make the Ion Bond with Novak ambi safety for very long. I remember when they were making those that CCS announced they were stopping making them.. IIRC

It would have been really cool if they had that same gun and included a S&A beavertail instead of the sloppy bloppy Colt beavertail. Now that would have been really cool!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
After speaking with the Octopushighball "Scott" this is a rare variation with the novak ambi safety, bronze finish, CCS pelican case
HOPE HE ADDS MORE INFO

When I see the factory letter, it will give us better where, when, and how many were shipped wth this configuration

The novak ambi safety is marked on the back with a different shape RT side safety than the colt ambi.
Plus it has an external attachment , 1/16" roll pin

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Just how many of these M45A1s did Colt make? Here's my Blue Box, non-Custom Shop, Ion Bond bronze pistol...

I've been told that this model, other then the roll mark on the slide (M45A1 vice USMC) is the same gun (three dot night sights, ambidextrous safety, National Match Barrel) as the version sold to the Marine Corps.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Lots. The Colt m45a1 is over 16000ega serial number. They have made more variations then I could describe. Over a dozen? The marines traded in approx. 1000 cerakoted marine marked slide guns. Approx 500 new and 500 used guns. They were sold over gun broker. The marines in trade took delivery of Colt m45a1 ionbond finished guns like what you have. They are not very rare but the do shoot great.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
After speaking with the Octopushighball "Steve" this is a rare variation with the novak ambi safety, bronze finish, CCS pelican case
HOPE HE ADDS MORE INFO

When I see the factory letter, it will give us better where, when, and how many were shipped wth this configuration

The novak ambi safety is marked on the back with a different shape RT side safety than the colt ambi.
Plus it has an external attachment , 1/16" roll pin

Thanks for having the guts to do the tear down and show the safety from all angles, RPD57! It's great to see it... I don't trust myself enough to tear mine down this far without screwing something up, and that roll pin on the right side looks like a "muther" to get out. RPD57's is the lowest serial and out of range of the rest of them, but this appears to be pretty common with Colt to grab left over frames when they start a new variation and I'm guessing RPD57's is the first one made.

I don't know how many of these were made, but I've only recorded 9 in my spreadsheet so far. What seems to have happened with these is they released a month's worth of production for them, then they got the order for the all black IonBond version (the O1070CBQZ), of which they made a couple hundred for a single distributor. I would guesstimate less than 100 of these were made, but it is truly a guess. Next time I talk to Colt, I'll see if I can get a bead on how many were made.

After the black ones, they announced the cancellation of the Custom Shop version... Until they started them back up again with the Black/Gray Cerakote with 25 LPI checkering in a blue plastic clamshell box. Then they did a run of Black/Gray Cerakote with 20LPI checkering (unknown number but "small"), Black/Gray Cerakote 25 LPI in the Pelican case again (estimated 25ish per Colt rep), and finally Desert Sand/Black IonBond with 25 LPI Checkering in the blue clamshell box (confirmed as 27 and will letter that way).

I have noted 25 different variations of M45A1s available for sale to the public, including the two Decomm variations (NIB and Issued). Spreadsheet on variations here: (LINK)

P.S. Can't wait to see the letter on this one!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is the factory letter for the Bronze finish M45A1, it's listed as BROWN DECOBOND Coated Stainless

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Here is the factory letter for the Bronze finish M45A1, it's listed as BROWN DECOBOND Coated Stainless
GREAT info, Rich! Thanks so much for posting the letter! I got your message and text, BTW, just back in from out of town, will call you tomorrow :)
One for sale now on Gb. Test target dated 11/10/17. One of y'all need to buy it and save my kids Christmas. :) http://www.gunbroker.com/item/727936601
There are several differences on this latest variation coming out of the Custom Shop. 1) Stock Colt ambi safety 2) Checkered front strap 3) Bushing and barrel plug are now IonBonded (technically, DecoBonded, since it is IonBond that is colored anything but black). Having said that, I think this new version is going to make a great shooter and has some great features!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts