Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have shot the new Marine Pistol and a Gold Cup, how close are they in out of the box accuracy? For question purposes, I am only interested in accuracy. For now disregard the looks, features and cost. I have a chance to pick one up this week for $1900. I believe it is a done deal for me as I am a USMC vet and feel pretty excited to be able to get one. If there was not a Marine pistol I would be considering a Gold Cup.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I like the idea of a USMC-specific Colt Government Model, I think the execution by Colt is just not for me. I lean heavily toward a more traditional pistol with no rail or forward serrations. I have a new (less than 6 months old) blued Gold Cup and I cannot imagine the USMC pistol being more accurate than it. The traditional look of the blued GCNM just "does it" for me and I have no desire to own the new USMC pistol.

By the way, I am a USMC vet also. 66-70 RVN 67-68

·
Registered
800 Posts
For those of you that have shot the new Marine Pistol and a Gold Cup, how close are they in out of the box accuracy? For question purposes, I am only interested in accuracy. For now disregard the looks, features and cost. I have a chance to pick one up this week for $1900. I believe it is a done deal for me as I am a USMC vet and feel pretty excited to be able to get one. If there was not a Marine pistol I would be considering a Gold Cup.
Thats a great price on the USMC. I'm still on a waiting list :(

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have a GCT that moved me from excellent shooter.....to....unbelievable shooter. These words from my shooting partners. I have been target shooting for well over 30 years, and thought I had reached my peak, and honestly I was satisfied where I was at. But my GCT made me reach for higher goals.

·
Premium Member
8,194 Posts
If you think you could be happy with the GCT, then I'd buy the USMC pistol at that bargain price, sell it and the profits would fund almost half your GCT. Those Marine pistols are around $2450 and up , current market demand. If you sold for $2700-2800, you'd be in great shape to buy a GCT with a lot of pocket change. :)

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I don't know, LL. I think if you don't grab onto the USMC .45 now, you'll always wonder why not. I say go for it. WWYS has a great idea: if you don't like it, someone else will take it off your hands and you'll be well on your way to the Gold Cup. JM2CW.

·
Registered
68 Posts
IMHO Two completely different guns. Both incredibly accurate. Have and shoot both. Gold cups are set up for target duty, the Marine Pistol is set up for combat, self defense. Although, I will say that with full power ammo the CQBP is a cream puff to shoot. With its heft, and dual spring recoil system it is hard to beat. Hits everything I aim at with no problem out to 25+ yards. I load custom rounds for the gold cup, and the adjustable sights allow me to bullseye out to 50 yards. Admittedly tougher these days than in the past...eyes not what they used to be...but I still can get there. If youdidntalready, grab the CQBP, you can find Gold Cups everywhere.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for responding. I respect and enjoy your input. I think I will be getting the Marine Pistol. The gold cup might be a tad more accurate but with aging eyes any deficiency would be negligible. The Marine pistol will be suitable enough for the range, has the USMC roll mark and is available now, the same time it is under contract to the Marines. That is something that hasn't happened in over 50yrs and may never happen again. I get to own a Colt 1911 produced in my hometown state that is under contract with the military branch I enlisted with. Life is good.

·
Registered
10,474 Posts
I'm not a fan of either - having shot the CQBP and owned Gold Cups - I don't care for the overall feel of the USMC's choice, and I've had stock Government Models that out-shot the Gold Cups.

That said - what with you being a former Marine and the price you can buy it for - I'd say you'd be a fool to not buy that one.

There are far, far more Gold Cups out there - if you want one later on, one will show up.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I have several Gold Cup National Matches and they all are very accurate but at $1900 I would go for the USMC pistol. The test targets show they have nothing over the Gold Cups plus they have all tool steel internal parts something the Gold Cups, may not have, depending on the year of manufacture. If you really want the Gold Cup I would trade you an enhanced or non-enhanced model in bright stainless for that USMC pistol. The BSS Gold Cups start at $2000 and go up, Mine are like new.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
If I were going to need a pistol that's touted for it's ability to withstand all amounts of adverse exposure to muck and mire and still fire reliably and accurately, I might go for the new USMC. With that said I'm not really a fan of that particular pistol as it sits and have to side with the traditionalists. It certainly carries a hefty price tag and if you can get it for $1900, do so.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The GCNM or the GCT are not Custom Shop pistols according to Colt's recent catalog. The USMC is a Custom Shop product. That may or may not be important to you. At $1900 the USMC is a smoking deal. Best price that I've seen on a new GCNM is $1175 and $1229 for a GCT. I like the "old school" look of the blue, GCNM.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Personally I doubt if I'd have much interest in the current Gold Cups which means I'd be inclined to want a Series 70 or pre-70s NM. And I'm not a big fan of rail guns either, but for the price posted the USMC M45 is the ticket IMO. I also think that if I had the opportunity to get the Marine pistol I probably would.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
.....The Marine pistol will be suitable enough for the range, has the USMC roll mark and is available now, the same time it is under contract to the Marines. That is something that hasn't happened in over 50yrs and may never happen again. I get to own a Colt 1911 produced in my hometown state that is under contract with the military branch I enlisted with. Life is good.
'Nuff sed, Marine. You go for it & never look back! ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.