Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Colt Mark III \"Sheriff Special\"

Am I the first to ever post on this site? Where is everybody? Kinda spooky! Any ways I'll take a shot at this post and maybe someone will be passing by with my answer. Does anyone have any info on this gun. I called colt and gave them the serial # and they could only tell me that it was made in 1975 and that it is a J-frame. It's a .357 with a 4" barrel and walnut grips. It's double action and on the barrel it says Colt Mark III "Sheriff Special".
I'm not concerned with the value of the gun. I just need more info to make sure I can carry it with my Sheriff Posse Unit. They only allow certian guns. The Tropper & the Lawman are two of them. If this is a Tropper or Lawman Special I'm good to go. But so far no one can tell me anything about this gun. Thanks for any info in advance. SL

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Re: Colt Mark III \"Sheriff Special\"

Noticed someone reading this post that I never noticed from way way back. Another undocumented "special"? Of course, he should have been "good to go", but now that we have more posters, maybe we'll get more comment. Or not. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I also notice the question was asked on thefiringline around the same time. Only speculation was it may have been a special promotional run for some company ala Franklin Mint offerings.

·
Registered
931 Posts

Wow!! you answered a 6 year old post!

·
Registered
400 Posts

What are the odds that this guy is still waiting for an answer? A1A your abilities to do research amaze me!

Dave

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

In another 6 years I'll get to today's. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I didn't search it out. In fact, I had completely missed it my whole time digging around the forum. I was looking at Who's On Line and an anonymous user was reading that post. It was new to me, so I looked at it. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

·
Registered
83 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
In another 6 years I'll get to today's. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I didn't search it out. In fact, I had completely missed it my whole time digging around the forum. I was looking at Who's On Line and an anonymous user was reading that post. It was new to me, so I looked at it. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
You just keep digging and giving out them good answers. You sure helped me out about a week ago. Thanks again.
Best Baldy.

·
Registered
909 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
If this is a Tropper or Lawman Special, I'm good to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't these related to the:

Police MK II
Official Marshal
Detective Regular
Special Agent
Pocket Peculiar
Police Peculiar Special
King Pit Viper
Officer's Medal

Or was I looking at the wrong reference material??

Any others I have missed? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

The Defective Special and the Official Model. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Tropper is actually a common typo in the auctions, along with Detictive, Pyton and Corba. You have to search carefully if you want to catch them all. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
777 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
The Defective Special and the Official Model. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif ...

[/ QUOTE ]
Stop! You're giving away all my eBay search secrets.

ML

·
Registered
948 Posts

So, back to the original post.

Does anyone have any info on a MK III Sheriff Special? I knew an Alabama State Trooper who carried one of the MK III Border Patrol revolvers, but hadn't heard of one marked Sheriff Special.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,367 Posts

A Mark III "Sheriff Special" sounds very much like one of the limited production guns Colt made up for private organizations.

The Custom Shop would make firearms for private fraternal organizations, clubs, police associations etc.
I think the lower limit was 25 guns, and they would do just about anything the customer was willing to pay for.

Since these were private sales custom items, few people have ever heard of most of them.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
So, back to the original post.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I suspect what Dr. D says. Since this was the case, it just makes me wonder why more of this sort don't pop up more often and where they are, especially with the current level of interest in Colts. Perhaps hidden away in the "estates" of those to whom they were "special" /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts