Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know I am trying to collect one of every unshrouded Colt Snub. I have been on a quest for a Marshal 2". I finally found one in decent, only about 80%, condition. It is in the correct S/N range manufactured in 1955 per colt. It matches all the pictures I have seen from this forum, has the round butt and all markings are correct, however the S/N does not have the "M" after it. I have searched this forum and read a lot of information on this subject.

Because most of this information I have seen about the "M" missing on most if not all Marshal's, I am going to purchase it anyway. The seller has agreed to price it very low after he saw that it should have an "M". ;)

Has anyone been able to get additional information on why Proof House says the Marshal should have a "-M" after the S/N? or why Colt says it sould have an "M" (no dash) after the S/N, when no one has seen one?

All in all I feel fortunate to have found a 2" Marshal. I will post pictures of my Marshal Snub with character next week.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I recently lettered a Marshal that had no "m" and the letter had an "m". There was a note added to the bottom of the letter that acknowledged the fact. Apparently it is known by Colt historians that most of the Marshals dont have the "M".gunnut

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Apparently it is known by Colt historians that most of the Marshals dont have the "M"."

Thank you gunnut75, I am feeling much better about this purchase.

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I finally added a 1955 2" Marshal to my snub collection. I have seen (2) 4" models and now this one and they all had a "M" in the very lower right on the neck below the S/N. Maybe this is the "M" the books are referring to. I know, it could just be an extra inspector mark on the Marshal's. Do any of you Marshal owners have this "M"? Below is a picture.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,514 Posts
As stated in private correspondence, I have never seen a Marshal with an "M" suffix. The fact that there may be a stray "M" inspector's mark in the vicinity of the serial number is irrelevant. For the serial number to have an "M" suffix, I think it would have to be like the "-LW" suffix found on the Courier, Aircrewman and Cobra, where the serial number reads "12345-LW." Does anyone have a Marshal with a true "-M" suffix affixed at the end of the numerical serial number? If so, please post a picture of the serial number for the benefit of all.

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Does anyone have a Marshal with a true "-M" suffix affixed at the end of the numerical serial number? If so, please post a picture of the serial number for the benefit of all."

Thanks JudgeColt, I have never seen a picture or know of anyone with the "M" or "-M" suffix on a Marshal.

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This forum does have Colt's representation, Just maybe we will get this "M" suffix issue fixed. :bang_wall:

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you for the picture of the S/N hope2. There is the same "M" in the bottom right corner of the neck.

What is the proper term for what I am calling the neck? The Crain I thought was the swing out part that holds the cylinder.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Here's my Marshal, along with original matching serial # box.

The two tone blue is my favorite Colt finish.

It has two "M" but they are not part of the serial and appear to be inspection strikes as they are well below the serial and not like the "E" on Pythons or "LW" on Agents.

( I need to get my Wide-angle lense back from my buddy...)

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Here's my Marshal, along with original matching serial # box.

The two tone blue is my favorite Colt finish.

It has two "M" but they are not part of the serial and appear to be inspection strikes as they are well below the serial and not like the "E" on Pythons or "LW" on Agents.

Thats a beauty and a keeper unless you want to pm me LOL

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I can see the details just fine. That is now the 5th one I have seen with the "M" in the lower right.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Oh well, just passed on a Colt Marshall yesterday on GB and now it appears gone. I hesitated on price along with a few other concerns. I am in the market if anyone has a 2" for sale. Looking forward to a PM. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,514 Posts
The different "internal cut-out area" does not affect the external shape of the grip frame, or pin placement. It appears stocks would interchange.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I haven't got a photo capability, but I have a 4" Colt Marshal serial 836XXXM. Blue with Colt medalion real ivory grips. I got a Colt letter on it last year and it listed the serial as the same with M suffix. Hope this helps !!! Henri

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I haven't got a photo capability, but I have a 4" Colt Marshal serial 836XXXM. Blue with Colt medalion real ivory grips. I got a Colt letter on it last year and it listed the serial as the same with M suffix. Hope this helps !!! Henri
Does your Marshal have a dash "-M" or "M" no dash in line with the S/N as a sufix? I.E. 836XXX-M or 836XXXM on the neck and/or crain of your Marshal? Or are you going with the letter from Colt? Thank you for the reply.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts