Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a fair price to pay or charge for a ColtMaster rear sight? I know they are fairly rare so is it one of those items that people just jack up the price on and eventually someone bites? Does having the period correct rear sight on a revolver increase its value even if it is a nice shooter grade (not 100 percent mint)? I'm trying to decide whether its worth putting up the cash to bring my Officers Model Special back to its original state. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
5,725 Posts
I have seen them on eBay but maybe only a couple in 10 years or more. They were not overly priced. You may not have many options on your gun for a rear sight. While the sight is rare, most likely demand for the sight is rare as well. I am away from home now but at the a Louisville gun show, a dealer named sight man, sold all kinds of sights. If your OMS is a 38, it’s maybe a $5-600 gun so you would have to decide if it’s worth it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. That's what I'm thinking. It is a 38, in 95% shape. It has a nice Micro adjustable rear on it now. Is $100 to much in your opinion?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thanks for your reply. That's what I'm thinking. It is a 38, in 95% shape. It has a nice Micro adjustable rear on it now. Is $100 to much in your opinion?
it depends.. are you like me with OCD? Will you look at the rear sight in a few years and wonder why didn’t you replace it ‘cause the price is now $125? Will you think about it every time you shoot since you want the gun to be all original? If you have my “disease”, buy it! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
9,413 Posts
When one has a chance to replace an incorrect feature on a collector Colt for market price, do it NOW. While it is rare to see bare Coltmaster sights for sale, look for orphan Woodsman slides for sale that have a Coltmaster sight on them. Be sure to check both eBay and the gun auction sites. Do it NOW, or regret it later.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
IF the Micro sight was installed without modifying the frame you should get the Coltmaster, especially on the OM Special. If the frame was cut to install the Micro then forget about it.
I believe Micro made a sight that fits the ColtMaster dovetail, so hopefully this OM was not modified.

eBay is your friend when it comes to finding these parts. I have seen a few listed, like Judge colt mentioned but have seen just the sight as well as some demilled slides.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts