Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just traded into this rifle. Serial starts CCH it has the bayo lug but doesn’t have a sling swivel. Just wandering what parts I need to put one on. Also it has removable carry handle but does not have any muzzle device if that helps narrow down what rifle I have. Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Congrats on your new HBAR. I hope that it shoots well for you. I haven't kept up with the various iterations of the HBAR so I can't help with your actual model.

I bought one of the first HBAR rifles in 1986 and burned the throat out of the barrel shooting it in local rifle matches and at prairie dogs. It never was more than a 1.5 MOA rifle, but if you held hard, it would hold the 10 ring at 600 yards when you read the wind correctly.

A few years ago, I rebuilt it with a SS 1 in 8" Wilde chambered free floating barrel, steel inner handguard liner, an upgraded match rear sight and a stabilized front sight. It also has a Krieger double stage trigger (like an M14 or an M1 Garand) that improves trigger pull quite a bit.

Wouldn't you know it, after all of that, I haven't been to a rifle match to try it out. :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I actually ran some rounds through it yesterday. Other than being heavy it’s a nice shooting rifle. Hope you get yours out it’s a good looking setup.
If someone sees this maybe steer me in the right direction. I found the sling swivel, one comes with a rivet the other a roll pin. Which would be easier for a complete novice to install. Thanks

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
If someone sees this maybe steer me in the right direction. I found the sling swivel, one comes with a rivet the other a roll pin. Which would be easier for a complete novice to install. Thanks
I also had an AR-15A2 HBAR same as the other member shown which I bought new when they first came out in 1986 and I also used mine in DCM/ CMP rifle matches.

It seems that I was the first shooter that used an A2 AR-15 in the summer '86 match in my area that time (about 400 shooters that weekend) and I did very well, it was a required match so I could buy my DCM surplus USGI M1 Garand rifle.

If you're not going to use your sling carrying the one with the roll pin is fine. But if you want to carry most of the time the rivet is stronger and what they currently use.

You could install the rivet but it won't be as nice as a factory installed rivet which have a mushroom head shape, if installed with just a standard large punch the end would be flat and not mushroom shape.

If you wish you could take it to a gunsmith which could install it for you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
AR15_1911 brings up a good point. When using a rifle in DCM or National Match competitions, you place a good deal of pressure on the front sling swivel in the sitting and prone positions. You'll want as strong of an attachment as possible if you use the sling as a shooting aid.

While my photo of my HBAR doesn't include the sling, I have a heavy duty Model 1907 sling on it. The canvas or nylon M1 sling when set up properly is also a good sling for match shooting as well as must carrying the rifle.

I stole this photo of the Internet of the M1907 sling attached properly to an M1 Garand.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you both for the helpful info. I will definitely go with the rivet. I found a rivet tool on Midway so I’m going to give it a try myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts