Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could you guys that own a colt match target 20" Hbar tell me what your groups are at 100 and 200 yds and if that is factory ammo or your reloads ?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hard to believe nobody knows about the accuracy of the colt match target ar 15

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine shot 6-7 inch groups at 400 yds with the iron sights from a rest. Later after putting the barrel on an a3 top it would keep all shots in a baseball cap at 350 yds using a 12x varmint scope. My load was a 69 gr Sierra match king over Varget power. Your milage may vary.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine shot 6-7 inch groups at 400 yds with the iron sights from a rest. Later after putting the barrel on an a3 top it would keep all shots in a baseball cap at 350 yds using a 12x varmint scope. My load was a 69 gr Sierra match king over Varget power. Your milage may vary.
Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it

·
Registered
51 Posts
Reb, your rifle will likely shoot best with heavy bullets. Dont get down if your 100 yd groups are not great. We found that it takes "time" for the heavy bullets to stablize in flight so the best accuracy will be farther down range. This may sound crazy and I cant explain it but I know what I saw when shooting and watching others shoot the same loads. These rifles can shoot well for a handloader and Black Hills makes some good ammo as well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Picked up my NIB '96 HBAR with the 1:9 24" barrel earlier this year. I've tried Black Hills 69gr SMK's, 55 gr of various manufacturer and am still testing. Looking around for other weights to try but all are capable of less than 1" at 100 yards so far. Not sure if I want to try much heavier than the 69 based on other shooter's input. Gun isn't even broken in yet so it will be a while to wring her out for tighter groups. I really like the gun and am satisfied with the trigger for now but will probably do something to that this winter.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the replies, I appreciate it.
I am working with 55 gr Hornady Amax and H335 powder. I am grouping 1 inch and under at 50 and 100 yds. I haven't tried longer range yet.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Oh. I can tell you all about that. I had one as a patrol rifle for like 5 years with a 4x ACOG up top. If you're looking for 100 yard groups, still try that Hornady Custom 55gr moly. With surplus stuff it was in the 3-4" range. With match stuff that was cut in half. Bear in mind mine was a patrol rifle, and shot as such. Make sure you watch for barrel harmonics. Rest it on the handguard, not barrel. I never put a high power scope on it, or shot past 300 yards, but she won't let you down. Head shots aren't an issue. Did I say head, I meant 5" circles. It's not really a target rifle though, it's an accurate combat rifle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts