1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
The linked picture is not original colt however there is a 150th Anniversary medallion that looks almost identical (and is probably what they copied).

The linked photo is from my collection and this particular Colt resembles that remark!!!;) It is 100%, Pure-D, Authentic Colt; NIB and perfect. Happens to be my Colt General Officer's Model from 1987 (one of 350). I own others from 1986-1987 which have grips/stocks with the 150th Anniversary medallions. I don't know how long Colt used them.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
I was using your gun as an example of the correct factory medallion. Found the image on google.
I understand, and should have read your post more carefully. That's what I get for trying to be a wise guy.

Off topic, but it is interesting how our photos turn up everywhere.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
The internet never sleeps.

I think I did a google image search for 'Colt 150 medallion' and it showed up on the page.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
I am going to revise my first response. I haven't seen those medallions on Pythons that Ive looked at. BUT , apparently those type medallions were shown in some catalouges for Pythons in the 1987 to 1991 range. This info courtesy of A1A.
So sounds like they are legit for the later Pythons.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One more question...what are your guys thoughts on this on:
Like New - Stainless Colt Python 6 inch w/box : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

It also has the half horse medallion. The gun looks like it's in good condition from the pics, but your expert opinions would be appreciated. I'm more concerned about the gun itself (not concerned about box/papers).

And also, thanks to A1A for sharing his info!

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
It looks pretty nice. I can see it has a minor turn line. To pay that much money, I would really like to see the area behind the rachet (recoil plate area). The seller could open the cylinder and take a pic of that area. If it doesn't have rachet peen marks that would be a plus.

Several years ago I remember looking at a 4" stainless Python in a gun shop. It looked very nice and the price wasn't terrible. I opened the cylinder and looked at the inside . Rachet peen marks were very deep in that area. I could feel the indents with my fingernail. Although on the outside the gun looked very nice, it had been hammered pretty hard with hot loads. I have always remembered that -so I always want to see that area.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,485 Posts
The horse head-only medallions with the "150" were used for guns made during the Colt 150th anniversary year.

After that anniversary year, Colt continued using the horse head-only medallions for several years, only without the "150".
Within a couple of years Colt went back to the standard full horse with "Colt" medallions.

Exactly what the time line is for the horse head without the "150" medallion use, then back to the full horse and "Colt", I don't know.

·
Registered
314 Posts
My horse head medallions with the "150" came with my 1986, BSS, 6". I think the stocks are Vintage.

Reactions: goldeneye
1 - 16 of 16 Posts