Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a list of different types of medallions made by colt(and their respective time period). I am mostly interested in revolver stocks as I currently make grips for S &W revolvers, and am considering some colt projects where this info would be useful. I know there must be some very knowledgeable persons on this forum who would be willing to share this info with me, thanks in advanceSteve

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,754 Posts
This is by no means a definite history:
For most of the Pythons production Colt used the standard "full pony" gold medallions with the colt standing on the globe with "COLT" above it as used on most Colt firearms.

During the 150th anniversary year Colt used the "Half pony" which was the head and shoulders of the colt, with a "150" beside it.

For a couple of years after the anniversary year Colt used the same "half pony" only without the "150".
They then went back the the original "full pony" on the globe type.

Late in production in the mid to later 1990's you started seeing a few guns with silver medallions on mostly stainless model with rubber grips and very late on some of the stainless Python Elite finger grooved laminated wood grips.
These were the standard full pony" medallions only in silver.

Other then these special exceptions, almost all Pythons used the standard Colt gold medallions whether on walnut or rubber grips.

Pythons of the 50's and 60's had gold medallions with a more subdued "old gold" finish. In the later 70's on, the medallions had a more shiny, "brassy" gold color.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,754 Posts
As DWalt said, there are the Colt Custom Shop gold medallions.
These have the Custom Shop shield logo and the words "Custom Shop".

However, putting those on grips would be more or less counterfeiting since only the Colt Custom Shop ever used them, and medallions are seldom ever seen loose.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, I didn't know that the silver medallions were only used from the 90's to present. Does anyone know the difference between "L" type and "C" type medallions?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,754 Posts
Standard Modern medallions with the tube on the back are riveted in place using a 4-corner staking tool to spread the tube.
The tool looks similar to a Phillips screwdriver.

The flat back medallions are glued in place with epoxy.
You "help" the adhesion and bond by making sure the back side is roughened to give the epoxy something to better adhere to.
You can also roughen the bottom of the hole in the wood.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
It seems as though Hugh's pics wont display any longer. Does anyone have photos of all the different styles of medallions Colt used and what years they were used in? Thanks.........

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
It seems as though Hugh's pics wont display any longer. Does anyone have photos of all the different styles of medallions Colt used and what years they were used in? Thanks.........
Sorry about that:eek:.....corrected:)

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
The later model medallions I have played with (like the kind found on Ebay) are metal covered plastic. I've always assumed the earlier medallions (like genuine pre-war) were all metal. Is this true?

·
Registered
184 Posts
What type of medallions are these? Sold as original antique pewter medallions by nutmeg sports. They match the style listed by swamprat as 1920's-1940's, however are slightly different, made of pewter, and seem to me to be thicker and more durable than the standard medallion. What are the standard 1920's-1940's medallions made of?
20200622_014443.jpg

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,754 Posts
Colt never used pewter, it was too soft and fragile.
Those medallions are not Colt factory, they're something someone made up, possibly Nutmeg.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Those medallions are not Colt factory, they're something someone made up, possibly Nutmeg.
Hm. Well, that's a bummer. Any idea where I could find an extra set of Colt factory medallions from 1920's-40's, like the ones on the grips I showed? Though these aren't 'factory' they are still very nice, despite being softer. What material were Colt's made out of? Most people seem to refer to them as a pewter finish.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Dfariswheel, I did a little digging and came across this post where a member explains the origins of the ones I showed:

"I called Jim (owner of Nutmeg) today and asked about the medallions. As most of us know, he ran the the Colt Custom Shop for several years, which included grip making. The medallions in question were in inventory while he managed the shop. After Jim left Colt he had a chance to buy a significant amount of parts, including medallions, when the factory moved. The medallions pictured above were part of that purchase (2 truck loads!, what a treasure trove). He didn't know when they were originally used by Colt or on which guns, but does still have the receipt for the purchase from Colt.

I like them and they're unique. Also, you won't find them on ebay (as you would with a counterfeit).

Hope this helps clear it up a bit. I would like to know what gun they were specced"

So, while I also have no idea what gun they were specced for, they apparently are indeed Colt factory, oddly enough.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,754 Posts
They may have been bought from Colt, but I'd bet money the reason Colt sold them off was because they were such poor quality Colt refused to use them.

Note how crude the Colt pony is and ill-defined the casting is.

I just don't know what Colt used in the 1920's and 30's to make the medallions.
They seem to be some type of base metal, harder and more durable then pewter.

Post-war medallions are some sort of "gray" base metal with either a gold or silver "colored" plating.
When worn, the "gray" base metal color shows through, so they aren't even brass.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts