Colt Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
As disheartening as that sounds, that very well could be the case. The only odd thing is these medallions are solid and coin like, whereas all the other medallions they usually use are shaped like a cap and fairly thin. Maybe they were trying something new and abandoned the idea when it didn't turn out as well as they would have liked? In which case, why did they make so many before aborting the idea?

Thanks for the reply though. To be honest, I don't know what these are made out of. Nutmeg just lists them as pewter. I do know Colt didn't use pewter as a base metal. I think the newer ones have a pot metal as the base, and the older ones may be brass, apart from whatever metal they used as plating.

I'd love to find a set or two of the original pre-war medallions, but they seem too hard to come by. The only set on eBay is $80 and they're worn to death. Unless I find some, I most likely will have to use the 'lesser quality' medallions I currently have when it comes time to get my grips made.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,754 Posts
When a company has something made for them under contract, they usually buy large quantities to get a better price.
This would not be the first time a company bought a bunch of something only to not use it because of quality problems.

You'd expect the contractee not to keep or at least not to pay for the defective product but sometimes they figure it's less trouble just to not use it, especially if the contractor isn't able to eat the cost and it would cost more to sue.

I'd recommend watching the gun auction sites and eBay for some period grips in bad shape but with good medallions and rob them off the grips.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
They could be vendor samples that Colt rejected and somehow ended up on the market...maybe the vendor cut their losses by selling them.

Reactions: Spirit

·
Registered
184 Posts
How do these look? Pre-WWII medallions I found. Trying to find era correct medallions for some grips I'm making.

Last picture compares them to the 'rejected' Colt medallions.
20200629_182502~2.jpg
20200629_183045~2.jpg
20200629_183329.jpg

21 - 24 of 24 Posts