Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone has a Colt revolver mfg between 1947 & 1955 could you please tell me the wording of the Address on barrel.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Colt's D.A. rollmarks, to the best of my knowledge:

1955-Present
COLT'S PT. F.A. MFG. CO. HARTFORD CT. U.S.A.

1947-1955
COLT'S MFG. CO. HARTFORD, CT. U.S.A.

Note: no patent dates on barrels of post-war guns, with the exception of a few built right after WWII using pre-war barrels with post-war frames.

1927-1947
PAT'D. AUG.5,1884. JULY 4,1905. OCT.5,1926

1908-1927
PAT'D. AUG.5.1884.JUNE 5,1900.JULY 4,05.

1889-1908
Same legend, but patent dates of APR.9.1901, MAR.5.95, or NOVEMBER 6th 1888 appear.

Maybe Bob Best can fill us in on the "left wheelers" dates, as those models have several variations. As always, the exception proves the rule. If I have gummed this up, someone please correct me. HTH

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I have a Colt SAA 1st Generation that has been rebarreled and has a new cylinder. I was trying to figure out about when the gun was rebuilt.
Barrel markings are 1947-1955 era.
The cylinder is .45 cal and has the Rampant-Colt trademark stamped on rear of cylinder. Does anyone know when Colt started stamping that trademark on cylinder ???

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I have a Colt SAA 1st Generation that has been rebarreled and has a new cylinder. I was trying to figure out about when the gun was rebuilt.
Barrel markings are 1947-1955 era.
The cylinder is .45 cal and has the Rampant-Colt trademark stamped on rear of cylinder. Does anyone know when Colt started stamping that trademark on cylinder ???

Thanks

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Joe Will; You have one of the replacement bbls. made in the 47-55 period,and I believe that Colt marked many of the cylinders made during this period with "the Colt",to assure the buyer they were getting genuine Colt replacement parts in .38 and .45 versus Christy(who marked their barrels) and one or two other firms. Bud

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bushwhacker:

1889-1908
Same legend, but patent dates of APR.9.1901, MAR.5.95, or NOVEMBER 6th 1888 appear.

Maybe Bob Best can fill us in on the "left wheelers" dates, as those models have several variations. As always, the exception proves the rule. If I have gummed this up, someone please correct me. HTH[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Bushwacker,

Here are the factory applied roll markings for the "Left Wheeler" New Army and New Navy Models (Official Police frame size)... The difference in dates for 1889 to 1891 period for the 3 & 4 1/2 inch barrels is because Colt used several different variations on these barrel lengths in this time period including the barrel roll marking for their Colt Lightning Model 1877 revolver... As for the 1901 patent date you mentioned above, I have only seen it on the New Army's and Navy's that have been reworked in later years and was rolled with the Police Positive style roll marking die...

As with everything Colt There are exceptions, but this is GENERALLY the accepted markings found on the barrels...

1895 - 1908

6 inch barrels:
COLT’S PT. F..A. MFG. CO. HARTFORD CT. U.S.A.
PATENTED AUG. 5, 1884 NOV. 6, 88. MAR. 5,95.

3 & 4 1/2 inch barrels:
COLT’S PT. F. A. MFG. CO.
HARTFORD CT. U. S. A.
PAT. AUG. 5.84. NOV. 6. 88. MAR 5. 95.

1889 to 1895

6 inch barrels:
COLT’S PT F.A. MFG. CO. HARTFORD CT. U.S.A.
PATENTED AUG. 5TH 1884 NOVEMBER 6TH 1888

1891 to 1895

3 & 4 1/2 inch barrels:
COLT’S PT F.A. MFG. CO.
HARTFORD CT. U.S.A.
PAT. AUG. 5.84. NOV. 6. 1888.

Hope that helps! Bob Best

·
Registered
909 Posts
Thanks, Bob, I'm going to print this out and save it. And when can we expect the book? Inquiring minds want to know - and buy one!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bushwhacker:
Thanks, Bob, I'm going to print this out and save it. And when can we expect the book? Inquiring minds want to know - and buy one!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Bushwacker,

The book is out! Here is the ad copy on it...
Thanks! Bob Best

A Study of Colt’s New Army and Navy Pattern Double Action Revolvers
1889¬ó1908
By Robert Best

The first work of its kind, “A Study…” is a detailed look into Colt’s development and production of the Double Action Swing Out Cylinder New Army and Navy series revolvers. Civilian model production, U.S. Army and Navy models and contracts, and other Government organizations using these revolvers are all covered in this book. In depth research by the author into Colt’s shipping records, and the Government Archives is used to document the material presented. Model variations and serial number ranges are also presented in six color charts and a complete listing of all variations. There are over 150 photographs with 24 pages of color photos to show specific markings and manufacturing changes. Fully documented. 276 pages in this hardbound edition. $54.99.

Send check or money order (no credit cards) for $54.99, plus $6.00 per book for USPS Media Rate (un-insured) shipping and handling to:
Robert Best
4307 South Larwin Avenue
Concord, CA 94521

Allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. Add $2.20 for USPS insurance. Priority mail shipping is available in the Continental US for $13.55 per book. Shipments to CA addresses require addition of 8.25% sales tax.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the info on the Best book on the New Army and Navy DA's.

NOW, if some knowledgeable soul with the ability to organize his thoughts and write would just do a definitive work on the grand old COLT'S NEW SERVICE. Strange that even the sorts who do the large format coffee table books with pictures instead of content (or at least minimal thought in the content) hasn't opted to do something on the magnificent old sidearm.

Thank the gods we at least have Bob Murphy's slender monograph COLT NEW SERVICE REVOLVERS, but he states his limitations in scope up front.

------------------
"And the blithe revolver began to sing/ To the blade that twanged on the locking-ring..."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts