Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 357 Mk III 6" in satin Nickel with a ribbed barrel. I had never seen a MK III with a ribbed barrel before. Serial number dates it as 1980. Anyone have any idea how many were made or what they are worth? i could not find one on gunbroker or gunsamerica.

Colt mk III rib.jpg pix793219319.jpg

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I think you are mistaken on the date of mfg. Like A1A says, these were transition guns and were made when the MKV's started production.

After Colt's decision to phase out the MKIII models, Colt discovered it had a quantity of all MKIII components with the exception of barrels. Since the MKV barrels were interchangeable, Colt decided to fit the MKV barrels to the remaining MKIII components.

Since the model designations were not changed, they are still listed as MKIII's with MKV vented barrels roll marked MKIII. There were very few of these produced. Here is my MKIII with vented rib. I have a Colt letter and Colt says they don't know how many were made but the number was somewhat low.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
I think you are mistaken on the date of mfg.
Remember the date of frame manufacture based on serial number assignment and the date of shipment can be quite different. Both can be included in a Colt archive letter by asking. Otherwise you get only the ship date. :cool:

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Just called Colt and all they could tell me was made in 1980.
And that is all they will tell you outside of an archive letter and it is based on the same info you used. Again, the frame, crane and sideplate, the serial numbered parts, can be made and "thrown in a bin" for some time before they are barreled, have a cylinder fitted and finished for shipment. Of course I don't know the actual timeline for yours or vent ribbed MkIIIs in general and am just pointing out possibilities. :)

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Serial Number is 76879L. I based 1980 on the info provided in post by A1A. http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-revolvers/12138-da-dates-manufacture-thru-1985-a.html looked like MK V was introduced in 79.

very nice MK III you have there. I have same grips but have them put up so i dont damage when shoting.
Thanks for the compliment. The MKV was introduced in 1982. A1A is also correct, the frame may have been made in 1980 and could have been in a bin. Apparently that was one of the frames Colt discovered it had after the decision to discontinue the MKIII. It was sitting around until discovered when they decided to fit MKV barrels to them. I would bet your gun was assembled and shipped in '82/'83 despite being made in 1980.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
any idea what mine is worth? Not wanting to sell it right now, just thought it would be nice to know.

·
Premium Member
3,119 Posts
I have only saw a few of these but were all 357. Did they make any in 22???

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I added wooden stocks to mine, but it came with rubber ones like the op's gun. Mine also dates from 1980. As mafd2 says, there was probably a rack of MKIII frames that were all from the same serial # block made in 1980 that were assembled as a parts clean-up run after the MKV's were in production.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
An even better deal was at the end of King Cobra production, Colt ran out of King Cobra barrels and fitted them with Python barrels

·
Registered
82 Posts
A friend of mine just picked up a Trooper MK IV .
Any information on them would be welcomed.

EDITED:
I was mistaken. I just got a call fromthe owner. He says it is a MK V.
Makes more sense to me know.
It is still like searching for hens teeth though.
Interesting gun and I hope he likes it.
6 inch Blue with Red incert.In 99%.
I think it went for $900 on GB plus shipping and such.

·
Registered
44 Posts
A friend of mine just picked up a Trooper MK IV .Any information on them would be welcomed.
Trooper Mark V's were produced from 1982-1987 until replaced by the King Cobra. I have one, passed down from my Dad, and it is my favorite gun, mostly through sentimental value. The Trooper Mark V is pretty identical to the Mark III except for the hammer; can't remember the other differences

·
Registered
71 Posts
One of the first MK III's to get the vented barrel was the Officer's Model Match in 1969. It was also the last (6th) iteration of the OMM and was produced from 1969-1972 with only 496 made, 350 for export. Quite handsome as well!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts