Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a Colt Mark IV Series 70 Gold Cup National Match. It did not come with any documentation. The Serial Number is: 70N09456

I was able to find a serial number decoder on the net that narrowed the date of manufacture down to 1973-74. They started the 70N serial number designation in 1970.

This particular model and series had a manufacturing run from 1957 through 1983.

Love to know more about it including detailed specifications.

The gun is mint and I couldn't pass up the deal as I've been wanting one of these for quite some time.

Looking for some help from the Colt Experts.

·
Registered
45 Posts
According to Larry Hacker's booklet; "The Colt Automatic Pistol; It's predecessor and variations" , your gun was manufactured in 1973. 1974's production commenced with 70N11301. Your gun should have the large font rollmarks and very possibly, a lightened slide. Upon take down,
looking atthe bottom rear of the slide, you should see a scallop cut on one side and a "see though" extractor tunnel. I hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you can find a copy, Hallock's .45 Auto Handbook by Ken Hallock is recommended. It is comprised of a nice blend of the historical and mechanical aspects of the 1911. The Kuhnhausen(sp?) manuals are also very highly regarded if you're into the gunsmithing behind the 1911.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found a copy of The Colt Automatic Pistol; It's Predecessor and Variations by Larry Hackers online. I'll look for the others as well. In my research I found that Colt does reblueing. Does this detract value? If not is it recommended?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts