Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I new to this site and need some advices from people who had own one or still do. My father has just game me his colt mk iv 80 government .380 auto (blue) which had only fire 25 rounds while in his hand. i took it out to the range and put about 200 rounds in it and had no issue or problems with it. my question is: which is better, a full length ss guide rode or just replace the stock plastic with one that is the same size? I also plan on upgrading the trigger too. is there any other parts i should replace? I know that it's going to be hard looking for parts for the gun but im sure someone will know were to get them. I'm no expert on guns, this is my first pistol and it seem to be a very good starter. Any advice on this model would really help out a lot. attach is a photo of the pistol. Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have one that was built prior to 1984, I believe I got it in 1981 but not sure. Mine is the Colt Guard Finish. It came with a stainless
rod. Its a great shooter and I carried it in the summer months for 5 or 6 years. You have a good gift there, you will thank your dad for years to come.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Hi, Zoom, and welcome to the Forum. Interesting gun you have there. Parts may be hard to get, but you came to the right place to look for help. Your Colt is an excellent first pistol. Like many of us here, you may find that one is not enough. Enjoy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got mine in the early 80s. It's a great pistol, and due to it's short production now very much in demand. I have read differing opinions on using either the stock plastic guide rod that came with mine, or installing an aftermarket steel one. I'm going with the leave plastic rod as is camp. I haven't made the aluminum trigger upgrade, however I may consider that one. A new recoil spring may be appropriate due to age?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.