Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quandary, a puzzle if you will. I had up for sale at another location a Colt MKIV Series 80 blued that is in 9x23, the model number on the blue plastic box is O-1293E. The gun is in very good to excellent condition. This full size government also has a Colt carded still in the wrapper .38 Super barrel and magazine. I also have three Colt marked 9x23 mags and a mix of Colt marked and Mec-Gar .38 Super magazines, along with 350 rounds of Winchester 125 STHP ammo in 9x23. I really thought that I wanted to get rid of it, but the more I study and photograph it for a potential buyer, neither the buyer or I have committed at this point, I wonder am I making a mistake.

I would sincerely appreciate your thoughts. I like the looks and the cool factor of the gun and the flat topped slide is kinda neat, Like my SS Gold Cup...I just dont know what to do with this particular gun....Thanks in advance. :bang_wall:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I remember when these first became available that they were real dogs for the dealers that had them. Today they'd probably bring a collectors premium as there just weren't very many available.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think the 9x23mm seems to get a collector's premium. For that purpose, one may consider a Colt letter since (if I recall correctly) the Enhanced Colt MKIV Series 80s in 9x23, 9mm standard or 38 super are essential the same (frame, slide, firing components) except for the barrel and magazine. For shooting among Colt 1911s, there is only one - the 45acp.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Do I contact Colt for the letter? Thanks for all the help, New doesnt begin to describe me, when it come to Colts.

OK, skip the above, except for the thank you part, Found the archive services...cool stuff

·
Registered
931 Posts
I don't see the reason for a letter for the piece. The only thing it will tell you you don't already know is what distributor it went to.

The 9x23s did not sell well. To try and move the stock out, Colt put in a 38 super barrel and mag in. Those who want obscure calibers will want it...I saw one at a local honey hole sit for months and months.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Get a Bar-Sto 9mm barrel and some 9mm Colt 1911 mags and shoot the $hit out of it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
If you're not interested in keeping it as a 'collector piece' - or shooting it - sell it and move on...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't see the reason for a letter for the piece. The only thing it will tell you you don't already know is what distributor it went to.

The 9x23s did not sell well. To try and move the stock out, Colt put in a 38 super barrel and mag in. Those who want obscure calibers will want it...I saw one at a local honey hole sit for months and months.
Years from now, I think a Colt letter could provide a buying/selling advantage to a collector since the parts are easily interchangeable.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Years ago I had a Bar-Sto Super 38 barrel installed in my 9x23mm Govt model, but never knew it was a factory option. My experience is that when handloading, there isn't any practical difference between the two cartridges. Why were the 9x23mm pistols not commercially successful--lack of readily available factory ammunition?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts