Colt Forum banner
361 - 380 of 400 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm glad you liked the last few pix. The Judson Kilpatrick gun is lettered. It went to "Georgia" in Dec 1850. How it got to Lt. ShCol. Kilpatrick's possession in 1862 (when he was a Lt. Col,) is unknown. It came with the letter and extensive documentation including 3 books and past ownership by 2 notable Colt authors/collectors.

A factory letter on the Wirt Adams revolver has been ordered and is pending. Apparently the gun was made in 1862. How the gun with its cased set got into the hands of a Mississippi planter is unknown.

I have several other fluted '60 armies, including another one sent to Georgia. Their destinations are included inmy first response. Again, thanks for your interest and kind words.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #364 ·
If any forum member has a 1860 Army with a Colt Archive Letter (or supporting documention) or perhaps a 1860 Army with information engraved on the bootstrap, etc. - please allow me to add it to this current list.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
If any forum member has a 1860 Army with a Colt Archive Letter (or supporting documention) or perhaps a 1860 Army with information engraved on the bootstrap, etc. - please allow me to add it to this current list.

Thanks!
I have 2 other letter requests pending. Will let you know when they arrive.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Here's another one with letter. Serial # 43768, shipped June 9th, 1862 to Lt. Col. G.D. Ramsay, Washington Arsenal, Washington, DC as part of a 500 gun shipment. Has a story in that perhaps some blue coat had the initial "S" (see photo of grip) . He also modified the sighting to his preference.
IMG_2197.JPG
IMG_2198.JPG
IMG_2199.JPG
IMG_2200.JPG

·
Registered
115 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well, this interesting in that my engraved 60 Army was also shipped in that batch. After seeing other engraved Colts, now feel certain, this one is factory engraved. Still a mystery why a civilian Colt would be in a shipment of U.S. Colts.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #371 ·
Here's another one with letter. Serial # 43768, shipped June 9th, 1862 to Lt. Col. G.D. Ramsay, Washington Arsenal, Washington, DC as part of a 500 gun shipment....
Thanks and now posted!

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #372 ·
Member Mark Brooks Submitted Serial Number 148,352 - Thanks!
148,352Research
Kaw Mission Museum
Used by John Strert of Santa Fe Trail
in late 1860's near Dodge City

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #373 ·

Thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Here's another one with letter. Serial # 43768, shipped June 9th, 1862 to Lt. Col. G.D. Ramsay, Washington Arsenal, Washington, DC as part of a 500 gun shipment. Has a story in that perhaps some blue coat had the initial "S" (see photo of grip) . He also modified the sighting to his preference. View attachment 733306 View attachment 733307 View attachment 733308 View attachment 733309
That is an interesting modification added to that old war horse.
Looks like it was professionally done. A good looking 60 army, that aged well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My Army is a made up gun with two serial numbers. There are no military markings. The barrel is 47043 and the rest is 44806. Considering the condition I'm not going to order a letter but thought you might be interested that these numbers have been compromised but those numbers do not belong to military Colts.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #376 ·
My Army is a made up gun with two serial numbers. There are no military markings. The barrel is 47043 and the rest is 44806...
Thanks for sharing your Colt S/N information.

·
Registered
1 Posts
.: Abe Lincoln may have freed all men :.
- but -
.: Sam Colt made them equal :.
While waiting for my letter (Springfield Research Service Book Lookup? 1860 Army Revolver SN: 133812) - I figured it would be neat to have a summary created by everyone who actually has the Date of Shipment. So, because I have absolutely no life - I started going through threads looking for actual dates. If you have a date - provide the Serial Number and Shipped To and I will update this listing. Everything I have collected I found by searching the net (including this forum). Enjoy!
Found a great site for searching Civil War Soldiers by Name and/or Side (Confederate or Union) and/or Battle Unit Name and/or Battle Unit Function sponsored by National Park Service - U.S. Department of the Interior. Jump over to: Search For Soldiers!
Got my letter! My puppy was shipped to New York Arsenal, Governor's Island, NY on September 9th, 1863. Latest findings (Springfield Research Service Book Lookup? 1860 Army Revolver SN: 133812) Updated: (1/7/2016)

• Near the end of 1860 Army production - workers simply grabbed whatever usable parts there were on the floor and in the warehouse and assembled them into new (mis-matching) Armies, used the parts for repairs, etc.

• Early models (barrel address) where marked "ADDRESS SAM COLT HARTFORD CT" then "ADDRESS COL SAM COLT NEW-YORK U.S. AMERICA" while the left side of the frame was stamped "COLTS/PATENT" and left rear shoulder of the trigger-guard strap was stamped "44 CAL."

• Military contract guns have Inspector Cartouches (on grips) and single and/or double letter(s) on some of the metal parts.

• Soldiers had the option of keeping their Armies when leaving service by having a few dollars deducted from their Mustering-Out pay.

• From January 4th, 1961 through November 10th, 1863 the War Department furnished over 107,000 Armies becoming known as the "New Model" and the previous 1948 version was then called the "Old Army Model."

• The Armies (fixed sights) were set at 75 to 100 yards.

• Ordnance and Ordnance Stores - War Department - Washington City dated February 10, 1863. 106th PA Volunteers were issued Colt's Army Revolver ($20), Belt Holster ($.75), 192 E. B. Cartridges ($17 50 Per M).

• A number of Armies (above serial number 158,000) were shipped to London from the Hartford Factory. Some of them had British Proof-Marks with a New York Address (ADDRESS COL. COLT LONDON).

• Approximately 60 Colt Revolvers (1960 Army, 1861 Navy and 1862 Police) were Presented by Samuel Colt as "Presentations" to Civil War personalities, politicians, etc. in 1861. You will notice a number of "Presented by Samuel Colt" displayed below...

• The 1860 Army uses the same size frame as the .36 caliber 1851 Navy while the barrel on the 1860 Army is shorter than that of the 1851 Navy which allows the Army to have a longer cylinder.

• In 1871, Colt employee Charles Richards was awarded a patent for converting Colt percussion models to breech loading cartridge revolvers called the 1860 Richards Conversion - estimated production was 9000.

• In 1872, Colt employee William Mason was awarded a patent for an improvement to the Richards Conversion Model and was called the Richards-Mason Conversion (rear-loading metallic cartridges revolvers - SN range 5800 to 7900) - estimated production was 2100.

• Another Army conversion was the Richards Transition (Richards II) which combined the early Richards Conversion Model ejector with the Richards-Mason Conversion ring and gate and hammer - estimated production was less than 1000.

I contacted CHARLES W. PATE about his upcoming book - it is at the publisher (Mowbray Publishing) right now. I sent a e-mail to the publisher for a projected release date. Will keep ya informed... (4/17/2016)
  • Heard from the publisher! "...We don't have any date yet, however we do have the book and we will be publishing it. We are working on his Directory first, then the Colt 1840, I'd have to say maybe less than a year. Will let you know when I hear something..."(4/17/2016 4:35 AM)

• Heard from the publisher! "...The Colt Model 1860 Army Revolver by Charles W. Pate - First placed on the market only six months before the start of the war, the Colt Model 1860 Army Revolver quickly became the preferred sidearm for both sides of the conflict. Details: Hardcover with Dustjacket, 8.5" x 11", 462 Pages, 900+ B&W Photos..." (1/2/2018 10:22 AM)

• Heard from the publisher! "...The new Colt Model 1860 Army Revolver book by Charles Pate has finally arrived from the printers. We will be shipping out all preorders this week. We ship by U.S. Mail so please allow 10 days to 2 weeks for delivery..." (1/29/2018 12:37 AM)

1860 Army
1860 Army
Richards-Mason Conversion

SERIAL NUMBER
DATE OF SHIPMENT
SHIPPED TO
1 through 200,000+​
Date Shipped from Colt​
Arsenal or Soldier
Guns in Shipment​

2,822 Deliveries Identified

April 2nd, 2021

I have spent the last 4 years searching the net for 1860 Army Colt Archive Letters using both Google and Bing Search engines. I can't tell you how many forums (i.e., gun, etc.) that discuss Armies as well as providing information that helps us identify our Armies.

• A great source are Auctions - they not only list available Armies but they also provide history (when available). This is a great source for those researching their Armies.

• Every few days I search and am amazed how many more finds become available!

• I would especially like to thank everyone who has sent me extensive lists of serial numbers, etc. that they have collected since acquiring their armies.

• I would also like to thank members that have sent me a copy of their Colt Archive Letters to add to this list.

If anyone see's a 1860 Army Colt with a Inscribed Back Strap (see examples below) - please let me know so I can include it in my list. Thanks!
I have SN 287. 7-1/2 inch barrel, fluted cylinder, plated trigger guard, iron backstrap and varnished grips. All matching SN.

In looking thru the shipping date listing and reading C Pate's book, I am wondering if this SN was shipped south prior to April 15. Colt archives was no help, fast and curt response was they have no records prior to 1864.

Have you come across any other source for information on shipping or receiving dates for the very early production 1860s?

Thank you
N Combs

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have SN 287. 7-1/2 inch barrel, fluted cylinder, plated trigger guard, iron backstrap and varnished grips. All matching SN.

In looking thru the shipping date listing and reading C Pate's book, I am wondering if this SN was shipped south prior to April 15. Colt archives was no help, fast and curt response was they have no records prior to 1864.

Have you come across any other source for information on shipping or receiving dates for the very early production 1860s?

Thank you
N Combs
I am n the same boat as you. I talked to Charlie about mine & said it was a mixed bag getting a hit on the early ones I have had some fortune in getting hits but not very often

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #379 ·

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #380 ·
Member Blackjack33 Submitted Serial Number 63,229 - Thanks!

63,229SEP 12, 1862LTC G. D. Ramsay
Washington, DC

361 - 380 of 400 Posts