Colt Forum banner
381 - 400 of 400 Posts

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #383 ·
If any forum member has a 1860 Army with a Colt Archive Letter (or supporting documention) or perhaps a 1860 Army with information engraved on the bootstrap, etc. - please allow me to add it to this current list.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #385 ·
If any forum member has a 1860 Army with a Colt Archive Letter (or supporting documention) or perhaps a 1860 Army with information engraved on the bootstrap, etc. - please allow me to add it to this current list.

·
Premium Member
3,900 Posts
.: Abe Lincoln may have freed all men :.
- but -
.: Sam Colt made them equal :.
While waiting for my letter (Springfield Research Service Book Lookup? 1860 Army Revolver SN: 133812) - I figured it would be neat to have a summary created by everyone who actually has the Date of Shipment. So, because I have absolutely no life - I started going through threads looking for actual dates. If you have a date - provide the Serial Number and Shipped To and I will update this listing. Everything I have collected I found by searching the net (including this forum). Enjoy!
Found a great site for searching Civil War Soldiers by Name and/or Side (Confederate or Union) and/or Battle Unit Name and/or Battle Unit Function sponsored by National Park Service - U.S. Department of the Interior. Jump over to: Search For Soldiers!
Got my letter! My puppy was shipped to New York Arsenal, Governor's Island, NY on September 9th, 1863. Latest findings (Springfield Research Service Book Lookup? 1860 Army Revolver SN: 133812) Updated: (1/7/2016)

• Near the end of 1860 Army production - workers simply grabbed whatever usable parts there were on the floor and in the warehouse and assembled them into new (mis-matching) Armies, used the parts for repairs, etc.

• Early models (barrel address) where marked "ADDRESS SAM COLT HARTFORD CT" then "ADDRESS COL SAM COLT NEW-YORK U.S. AMERICA" while the left side of the frame was stamped "COLTS/PATENT" and left rear shoulder of the trigger-guard strap was stamped "44 CAL."

• Military contract guns have Inspector Cartouches (on grips) and single and/or double letter(s) on some of the metal parts.

• Soldiers had the option of keeping their Armies when leaving service by having a few dollars deducted from their Mustering-Out pay.

• From January 4th, 1961 through November 10th, 1863 the War Department furnished over 107,000 Armies becoming known as the "New Model" and the previous 1948 version was then called the "Old Army Model."

• The Armies (fixed sights) were set at 75 to 100 yards.

• Ordnance and Ordnance Stores - War Department - Washington City dated February 10, 1863. 106th PA Volunteers were issued Colt's Army Revolver ($20), Belt Holster ($.75), 192 E. B. Cartridges ($17 50 Per M).

• A number of Armies (above serial number 158,000) were shipped to London from the Hartford Factory. Some of them had British Proof-Marks with a New York Address (ADDRESS COL. COLT LONDON).

• Approximately 60 Colt Revolvers (1960 Army, 1861 Navy and 1862 Police) were Presented by Samuel Colt as "Presentations" to Civil War personalities, politicians, etc. in 1861. You will notice a number of "Presented by Samuel Colt" displayed below...

• The 1860 Army uses the same size frame as the .36 caliber 1851 Navy while the barrel on the 1860 Army is shorter than that of the 1851 Navy which allows the Army to have a longer cylinder.

• In 1871, Colt employee Charles Richards was awarded a patent for converting Colt percussion models to breech loading cartridge revolvers called the 1860 Richards Conversion - estimated production was 9000.

• In 1872, Colt employee William Mason was awarded a patent for an improvement to the Richards Conversion Model and was called the Richards-Mason Conversion (rear-loading metallic cartridges revolvers - SN range 5800 to 7900) - estimated production was 2100.

• Another Army conversion was the Richards Transition (Richards II) which combined the early Richards Conversion Model ejector with the Richards-Mason Conversion ring and gate and hammer - estimated production was less than 1000.

I contacted CHARLES W. PATE about his upcoming book - it is at the publisher (Mowbray Publishing) right now. I sent a e-mail to the publisher for a projected release date. Will keep ya informed... (4/17/2016)
  • Heard from the publisher! "...We don't have any date yet, however we do have the book and we will be publishing it. We are working on his Directory first, then the Colt 1840, I'd have to say maybe less than a year. Will let you know when I hear something..."(4/17/2016 4:35 AM)

• Heard from the publisher! "...The Colt Model 1860 Army Revolver by Charles W. Pate - First placed on the market only six months before the start of the war, the Colt Model 1860 Army Revolver quickly became the preferred sidearm for both sides of the conflict. Details: Hardcover with Dustjacket, 8.5" x 11", 462 Pages, 900+ B&W Photos..." (1/2/2018 10:22 AM)

• Heard from the publisher! "...The new Colt Model 1860 Army Revolver book by Charles Pate has finally arrived from the printers. We will be shipping out all preorders this week. We ship by U.S. Mail so please allow 10 days to 2 weeks for delivery..." (1/29/2018 12:37 AM)

1860 Army
1860 Army
Richards-Mason Conversion

SERIAL NUMBER
DATE OF SHIPMENT
SHIPPED TO
1 through 200,000+​
Date Shipped from Colt​
Arsenal or Soldier
Guns in Shipment​

2,827 Deliveries Identified

July 1st, 2021

I have spent the last 4 years searching the net for 1860 Army Colt Archive Letters using both Google and Bing Search engines. I can't tell you how many forums (i.e., gun, etc.) that discuss Armies as well as providing information that helps us identify our Armies.

• A great source are Auctions - they not only list available Armies but they also provide history (when available). This is a great source for those researching their Armies.

• Every few days I search and am amazed how many more finds become available!

• I would especially like to thank everyone who has sent me extensive lists of serial numbers, etc. that they have collected since acquiring their armies.

• I would also like to thank members that have sent me a copy of their Colt Archive Letters to add to this list.

If anyone see's a 1860 Army Colt with a Inscribed Back Strap (see examples below) - please let me know so I can include it in my list. Thanks!
This early one was converted and re-shipped(?) in 1877. SH&G engraved it.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
This early one was converted and re-shipped(?) in 1877. SH&G engraved it.
A rare bird indeed, one, even if in original configuration as a fluted cylinder, but as a Richards conversion a rarer bird and top that off, an engraved, Richards conversion of a fluted cylinder 1860 Army Colt. It didn't say but assume a surplus Colt bought by SH&G for conversion. Now, I'm a little confused, did Colt keep records of factory conversions as I was under the impression that it was useless to try to letter a factory conversion. & does this hold true fpr the Navy/Navy 61 Colt conversions & better yet, will the 1860 Colt army Model M a total of 50 built by Colt out of new parts of an experimental revolver & numbered in a group of their own, Would they be eligible for a letter or not?

·
Premium Member
3,900 Posts
A rare bird indeed, one, even if in original configuration as a fluted cylinder, but as a Richards conversion a rarer bird and top that off, an engraved, Richards conversion of a fluted cylinder 1860 Army Colt. It didn't say but assume a surplus Colt bought by SH&G for conversion. Now, I'm a little confused, did Colt keep records of factory conversions as I was under the impression that it was useless to try to letter a factory conversion. & does this hold true fpr the Navy/Navy 61 Colt conversions & better yet, will the 1860 Colt army Model M a total of 50 built by Colt out of new parts of an experimental revolver & numbered in a group of their own, Would they be eligible for a letter or not?
Knowing that SH&G bought about 5000 surplus S&W Schofields in 1880, I am assuming that these 1860 Army's were also sold by the Government to them. I would have never thought that any Colt conversion of any model, would letter, unless maybe originally sold as a conversion. For me, this fluted Army was a one-shot deal. The only other Army that I tried to letter was in a high SN range (188405) - and it was a "no record" gun.

I got that letter in 1972, and I hate to think it, but knowing how the morons in Colt management were asking for records to the thrown away at that time -- the ledger that had info on my gun may now be gone! That ledger may have been a rework record book, covering several models. The lack of a shipping date is probably telling us that it wasn't a usual shipping ledger (the source of most Colt letters).

Reactions: hrt4me and A34

·
Premium Member
3,900 Posts
This gun came out of Mexico about 1970. The ejector tube was cut away at the barrel surfaces (gone) and the grips were awful. I made the ejector tube, rod, head, and spring. I also made the walnut grips. I sold the gun in 1975, as this model was not in my then-current line of interest.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #390 ·

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #391 ·
Member Submitted Serial Number 4,871 - Thanks!
4,8711871Possibly Returned to Colt for a Rework
Schuyler, Hartley & Graham
New York, N.Y.

·
Registered
115 Posts
This gun came out of Mexico about 1970. The ejector tube was cut away at the barrel surfaces (gone) and the grips were awful. I made the ejector tube, rod, head, and spring. I also made the walnut grips. I sold the gun in 1975, as this model was not in my then-current line of interest.
Well, a beautiful & interesting piece. I have these examples I wish I could letter

·
Premium Member
3,900 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 11 Colt '60 armys with either back strap engraving or factory letters or both. They are:
1) SN 277 fluted army sent to Peter Williams in Richmond 4/15/'61
2) SN 922 fluted army sent to Gov. Wm Dennison in Ohio 6/14/'61
3)SN 5213 fluted army sent to J C Grubb in Philadelphia 7/9/'61
4)SN 2967 fluted army sent to Peter Williams in Richmond 4/15/'61
5) SN 1110 fluted army sent to Colt's factory office in New York Jan'61
6) SN 876 fluted army sent to Gov. Dennison in Ohio June '61
7) SN 1347 fluted army in a cased set with ivory grips sent to "Georgia" 12/27/'60
8) SN 2560 fluted army sent to Kittredge & Folsom in New Orleans 4/9/'61
9) SN 35541 engraved army in a cased set with back strap engraved "Wirt Adams" who was a MS planter/commander🌫C.O. 🌫1st🌫MS🌫cavalry🌫and🌫BG🌫by🌫war's🌫end.🌫🌫Gun🌫was🌫sent🌫to🌫J🌫C🌫Grubb🌫in🌫Philadelphia🌫7/7/'62
10) SN 1366 fluted army in cased set engraved Lt Col H J Kilpatrick (lated Maj General Judson Kilpatrick, C.O> of Sherman's cavalry. Originally sent to "Georgia" on 12/27/'60
11) SN 224 fluted army sent to Peter Williams in Richmond 4/15/'61
I hope these fill in a few lines in your already extensive list.
Rekcuh

·
Premium Member
3,900 Posts
I have 11 Colt '60 armys with either back strap engraving or factory letters or both. They are:
7) SN 1347 fluted army in a cased set with ivory grips sent to "Georgia" 12/27/'60
9) SN 35541 engraved army in a cased set with back strap engraved "Wirt Adams" who was a MS planter/commander🌫C.O. 🌫1st🌫MS🌫cavalry🌫and🌫BG🌫by🌫war's🌫end.🌫🌫Gun🌫was🌫sent🌫to🌫J🌫C🌫Grubb🌫in🌫Philadelphia🌫7/7/'62
10) SN 1366 fluted army in cased set engraved Lt Col H J Kilpatrick (lated Maj General Judson Kilpatrick, C.O> of Sherman's cavalry. Originally sent to "Georgia" on 12/27/'60
Rekcuh
I bet they will!! Thanks for sharing so many early shipments.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #397 · (Edited)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Some truly interesting Colt conversions. Call Colt Archives and ask them if any will letter. Then let us all know.
I will do that very thing. You would think the M model would letter as Colt built the 50 revolvers at the request of the army and would not fall under the classification of a conversion as it was truly built in it's configuration & not as as conversion of an existing 60 army. The other 2 & as they say in Mexico,,,,,, Quien sabe?
Rekcuh
WOW..... that is quite amazing that you have corralled that many fluted Colts. Did you purposely set to collect Fluted Colts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I will do that very thing. You would think the M model would letter as Colt built the 50 revolvers at the request of the army and would not fall under the classification of a conversion as it was truly built in it's configuration & not as as conversion of an existing 60 army. The other 2 & as they say in Mexico,,,,,, Quien sabe?

WOW..... that is quite amazing that you have corralled that many fluted Colts. Did you purposely set to collect Fluted Colts?
Yes. They show up at shows/auctions from time to time. I don't know why but I just like the appearance/history of fluted cylinders, including '55 military rifles and '61 fluted navies.

381 - 400 of 400 Posts