Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone.

Came across this gun that has serial number 11555. There is an "S" under each serial number on the gun. I scoped out Flayderman's Guide and he mentions an "1861 Shoulder Stock Navy that is found in the serial number range 11000 to 14000 with only about a 100 being produced. He goes on to state that the 3rd type stock was made for the Model 1861 - frames of the 4 screw design with the recoil shield cut for engaging the stock yoke. Serial number on stock to match gun appears on bottom of tang yoke with letter "S" usually marked below each serial number".

As you can tell from the pictures this gun has the slot for a stock in the butt of the grip.............this gun does not have 4 screws.

Any insight from you experts out there would be greatly appreciated.

Tks and have a great week.

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
That is a neat '61. Is it yours? It was made in 1863, and was likely assembled as a standard Navy with no real intent to be a "stocked" pistol, but intended for the war effort. It appears most of the "cut for stock" 61s did have steel back straps with brass triggerguards, like this one. Of course, they had 4 screw frames. Since this one doesn't it makes me just when in the manufacturing process the frame was cut and the screws installed; perhaps after the frame, barrel and grip straps were stamped with the serials.
Again a neat variation of the '61 Navy. Thanks for presenting it.

Regards,
Tecolote

·
Registered
654 Posts
Beautiful gun. Looks to be in great shape. Don't see very many 1861 Navies that look that good. What is the condition of the bore and does it have good timing and lockup? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I would just assume that it is a left over backstrap from the '4 screw run' and they fitted it to a standard frame at the factory. Keep in mind that Colt never scrapped or disposed of usable parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts