Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a very nice Colt Model 1878 'Frontier Six Shooter' in 44-40 that I have a question on. It is nickel plated with ivory grips. Made in 1899. What has me wondering is that the grip is like that on a SAA. When I removed the ivory grips you can clearly see where there is a cut in the metal of the grip where if finished would have make the grip the common curved 1878 grip that you normally see. What gives? Could this be a special order gun or just a style I've never seen in a 1878? Please look at the pictures and see what you think. Thanks for any info. Robert

Reactions: LEO918

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
It was common years ago for the movie industry to make fake SAA from various guns. This was done, for example, to allow some actor not familiar with the SA to draw and fire double action while appearing to "fan" a Colt SA. Further, as SA Colts became scarce, guns such as the New Service were made up with fake ejector rod housings to simulate a Colt SAA. I remember gun dealer Robert Abels having a number of studio conversions for sale via mail order, back in the old days.

Bob Wright

P.S. Looking at your photo it looks a lot like one of the Winchesters.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote..."P.S. Looking at your photo it looks a lot like one of the Winchesters."

Huh? It is definetly a Model 1878 and has all the correct markings.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Definetly a customised gun. Could be as bob said but it could also be a custom done for a indivigual. Many of us have had butcherd guns.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts