Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Appears to be re-Finished ( to me also ).

Stocks appear to be aftermarket replacements ( but nice-enough ones ).

If Timing and Lock-Up are good, no slop worth mentioning, and if the Bore/Rifleing are good, with pronounced Lands...

I would guess around $300.00 or so, 'tops', to be about what it could find for itself on Gunbroker say. But this 'On a Good Day' so to speak.

If it were the original finish, and or even a worn or thin original finish, but with no rust signs or pits, with original Stocks, and good Timing and Lock-Up and Bore...it would be quite a bit more for value...but even then, not hugely more, but say, maybe as much as $425.00 ish or so...on a good day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your opinions shared above. I'd love to find someone to trade this to for a gun I can use as a range shooter. Thanks again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys, took the 1901 to a gun shop and they said the timing is off and needs to be repaired....anyone have an idea of what that may cost? Given the price mentioned above I am wondering if it's worth even messing with. Thanks again for your help

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
Unless you are planning to use it as a shooter, I wouldn't put any money into it. I don't have first-hand experience, but a lot of written sources talk about the old DA Colts as being tricky to repair. The collector's value is pretty much shot by the re-finish. The replacement grips and the fact that the numbers don't match on butt/latch and crane doesn't help either. By the way, this isn't an actual Model 1901, but an updated earlier model, probably a 1896, as evidenced by the 4-digit-only serial-no. on the butt.
I acquired a 1901 a while ago and have been educating myself about them, and looked at quite a few of them on internet sites and at gun shows. If it holds no sentimental value to you, put it up on Gunbroker for $ 300 or 400 and see what happens. Your gun looks really nice, and compared to the delusions some people on Gunbroker have about the value of their 1901, you will appear reasonable.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi guys, took the 1901 to a gun shop and they said the timing is off and needs to be repaired....anyone have an idea of what that may cost? Given the price mentioned above I am wondering if it's worth even messing with. Thanks again for your help
Well unless it requires a re-mortgage of the house I'd have that baby tuned up and use it. What the hell it's a Colt after all. I wouldn't run right out at the first sign of trouble and call it scrap metal so it can be promptly melted down and turned into Honda lug nuts! lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
That's a sweet New Army! It is definitely a refinished model, the grips have lost their cartouche in the process. The model 1901s are often upgraded older models, if that serial is correct, yours was actually made in 1892. You won't get much for it on gunbroker, I'd keep it and shoot it if I was you. However, if you do list it, I may be interested on bidding! I have a soft spot for these revolvers.

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
The model 1901s are often upgraded older models, if that serial is correct, yours was actually made in 1892.
tackkjr:
Unfortunately, the only one of your pictures that shows part of the top-of-barrel inscription is too blurry to read with certainty. To find out whether Darkwater might be right, check the last patent date on the second line. If it is Mar. 5 95 (as it is on all 1896 and original 1901 models), the 4-digit serial number cannot be the original number.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm no expert, but I could go either way on those grips (military vs aftermarket). The woodgrain is correct although finish is lighter (perhaps lighting?), but the escutcheon doesn't match what I have seen on other correct military Colt DA's. Likewise they are thicker than I have USUALLY seen, meaning I have seen some others that are equally thick but not many. Perhaps a change made late in the M1901/M1903 stage? Take them off to check the inside of each for a matching S/N. I also don't see an RAC stamp on the bottom of either grip, adding to likelihood they are aftermarket. If they are aftermarket they are the nicest I've ever seen.

I agree that the finish is a reblue, albeit a very nicely done reblue. The hammer and trigger are a giveaway.

Don't get too upset about the timing, at least not yet. A weak handspring will often rectify a lockup problem as that is a common wear item. I had a new handspring fitted to my 1st M1901 and have since put 300rds through it without any issues. I am picking up my 2nd M1901 from the gunsmith soon for the same issue (weak handspring). I expect similar results with that one as well. The hard part will be finding someone willing, but more importantly qualified to work on the M1901. There aren't many gunsmiths out there capable of the work.

The bad news: If you don't reload it will be difficult and expensive to shoot your M1901. They are chambered in .38LC, not .38SPL and certainly not .357MAG. .38LC can be found but is often difficult to come by and expensive, and is usually loaded using a .357 diameter 158gr SWC. This is not the correct bullet for the M1901's with their true .38caliber bore.

Hope that info helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts