Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Better images would help...other views, also.

Well, till someone closer to the front of the Class comes along...I'll put a few rounds into the "8 Ring":

Slide appears 'real' or M1911 era. Frame probably a replacement and of doubious provenance and quality...OR, Frame might be a straight Model of 1911 or old Government Model Frame, or an older aftermarket Frame, which someone re-finished and ground on and modified and tried to make into an A1 style...to which an unusual and atypical Serial Number has been applied somewhat naively...hard to tell with the images as they are.

Stocks probably 1940s or WWII Colt...Magazine is late or end of the era GI type.

I would say the Frame is a 'deal breaker' on this one...at least for me it would be, and, I tend to be pretty forgiving.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
go get your trade back! the other guy traded you an upside down gun! :D

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
go get your trade back! the other guy traded you an upside down gun! :D
Those upside down guns, lol:p... All depends on what he traded on whether or not to run back to the guy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what do you mean its deal breaker for you?so its not worth ne thing really?i traded a savage 17hmr and a sw 9mm for it and 200 cash.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Sorry to be blunt but it has a bogus serial number and the USP is spurious as well. Technically what you have is considered contraband and is illegal to own.

Sorry,
Kevin Williams

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
There was an X series of serial numbers for replacement frames and they would be in both 1911 and 1911A1 configuration. Yours however does not appear to fit in that the serial number you display would have been in the 1911A1 era. The sloppy serial number application and the very amaturish trigger scallop cuts are not indicative of either Colt or Springfield Armory. Add the fact the various interchangiable parts, Slide release, grips, magazine, manual safety are a mxed bag ranging froom pre 1921 to Vietnam makes the whole deal scream gun butcher.
I agree with kwill the serial number is bogus and will make the gun illegal to own. Reverse the deal if you can, if not be prepared to surrender the gun for destruction with no compensation. If you surrender it I would use the insulation of a good attorney, more money but better than a federal gun rap and prison.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Find a new frame or swap it back

·
Registered
665 Posts
Looked at a commander this weekend at a gunshow. Something wasn't right, the serial looked wrong & the Colt roll stamp was crooked. The more we looked at it, the more the owner wanted it back so he could "move along"

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Even the "UNITED STATES PROPERTY" appears to be hand stamped and follows the contour of the frame, not to mention I believe it is on the wrong side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts