Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been looking over a Colt Model 1911 .45ACP Ser#4036xx that came to me when my dad passed. Aside from all the proper Colt proof marks the forestrap of the butt has been punch stamped HQ27 2 27 and the backstrap of the butt has been punch stamped E over 15.

I ran the full Ser# on the Colt site and find it was manufactured in 1918, whether it was before the end of the war or not is not indicated. Anyone have better records I will send the full #

So, anyone have any info. on the UNIT STAMPING? Any assistance would be helpful, such as knowledge, sites to search, etc.

Thanks in advance, all inquiries of helpful information are welcome.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Making the assumption it went to an Infantry outfit - the 27th Infantry went to the Siberian Expeditionary Force at Archangel in 1919.

Look online for the unit history for the 'Wolfhounds' - there won't be any small arms serial numbers, or identification of who it had been issue to, but they had a colorful career.

'HQ 27' would be the 27th pistol in HQ's arms rack.

'2/ 27' would be 2d Battalion, 27th Infantry Regiment.

'E/15' is likely a later rack number.

See also - 'ANREF' - 'American-North Russian Expditionary Force'.

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
Ordnance didn't like the pistols to be unit marked as it served no purpose , and the pistols tended to be sent from one place to the another. May have been souvenir marked after it left the military.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts