Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the past week in France, Paris mostly. Their Museum of the Army has quite a few collections spanning quite a long period of time. There was a portion devoted to the two world wars. This little gem piqued my interest. Maybe Picardie (forum member) can translate- big thanks to him for helping out with suggestions on things to see and sharing some insight about culture.

Got to see the nightly ceremony at the Arc de Triomphe that honors the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and took a day to do a tour of several battle fields (mostly memorials and cemeteries) from The Somme.

Also, to set the record straight, there is a common idea here in the US that the French are rude or have a dislike of Americans- Parisians in especially. For the record, going off of my own experiences and those of the dozen or so other Americans whom I happened to meet throughout our trip- because I made a point to ask- nothing could be further from truth and I'd like to do my part in helping to stamp out this fallacy.

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
Thanks for the post. The Rough Translation is:

This pistol belonged to Frederic Labourer. He entered the Resistance of 1942 then became Regional Manager of the Service of Propaganda Diffusion of M.U.R in 1943. Appointed Captain of FFI of Auvergne. He commanded the 10th companion during the fights of Mont Mouchet (june 10, 11, 1942 and Truyere June 20, 1944.

I also noticed it an early blued U S Property marked pistol. Make me wonder how many went to the french resistance? Was it an army shipped one or OSS?

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
Spent the past week in France, Paris mostly. Their Museum of the Army has quite a few collections spanning quite a long period of time. There was a portion devoted to the two world wars. This little gem piqued my interest. Maybe Picardie (forum member) can translate- big thanks to him for helping out with suggestions on things to see and sharing some insight about culture.

Got to see the nightly ceremony at the Arc de Triomphe that honors the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and took a day to do a tour of several battle fields (mostly memorials and cemeteries) from The Somme.

Also, to set the record straight, there is a common idea here in the US that the French are rude or have a dislike of Americans- Parisians in especially. For the record, going off of my own experiences and those of the dozen or so other Americans whom I happened to meet throughout our trip- because I made a point to ask- nothing could be further from truth and I'd like to do my part in helping to stamp out this fallacy.
That's a fantastic museum. And my family and I had the same experience - the Parisians were lovely people.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You guys got the translation right. I should go check it out since I live an hour away by TGV (high speed train). I can say after living for 22 years in Florida that the main difference in casual meeting behavior is that an American will be what seems overly/fakely friendly to a French person... That said most know this and will respond in kind. It takes longer to make friends here but then you have them forever. The young people here like the American culture and the old ones remember their parents or grandparents talking about D-Day. Keep in mind too that the ultra-biased French media never paints the US in a good light, so better not talk politics. Most people here are brainwashed. It seems SAAs here cost about 30-35% more than in the US, and other Colts are very expensive, due of course to the trip and 20% VAT.
Gil

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts

I was very happy to help deyomatic (hi !) to prepare his tour in France with suggestions on places to visit. I am happy to read that he was welcome in my country, as well as I told him. Whenever I can promote friendship with the USA, it makes me happy.
Regarding the other messages of this thread (translation, comments on the reception of American citizens, etc.), I fully agree with their content.

Take care.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts