Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently, I picked up a Mustang on an impulse buy. Came with box, manual, and two extra mags.

Finally got to shoot it after nearly a month of hearing it whimper for range time. So off we went with five different types of ammo to find out which one is eaten without issues.

Each mag would feed two or three rounds and fail to feed. Rack and fire remainder was fine. Reason for FTF seems to be that the mags would drop for some reason. Being a left handed shooter figured into my reasoning as to mag droppin out but I believe it is another problem that just happens regardless of rounds loaded or grip.

This was going to be a carry piece but until there is 100% reliability I look at it as a novelty. No ammo will prevent mag popping loose.

Thought I would ask for advice before visiting the smith.
Thanks for any replies.

This gun appears to have had very few rounds put down the pioe.

Signed, Confused

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I just found one of these (Mustang), and experienced a similar situation when it was fired. I reexamined how I gripped the pistol, changed my thumb placement slightly (I'm right handed). That ended the problem. It appears that my thumb was hitting the magazine release button just enough to activate it when the pistol was fired and it recoiled. As stated, changing my thumb position stopped that behavior. So when I fire this I have to be very careful how I grip it. Which means much more practice until the "revised" grip becomes instinctive. So it won't be carried for quite a while; it will remain a range / gun for the near term.

Others probably have different solutions, experiences, etc., and probably better solutions.

rayb

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aside from a few scratches it appears to be in great condition. I will polish the feed ramp as it seems pretty rough and thought that the mag release spring could be swapped out for one that is a little bit stronger. This will probably be done by a competent smith. Thanks for the reply, I realize there aren't that many Mustang owners out there when compared to 1911s etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts