Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the site, I'm hoping you might be able to answer a couple of questions I have about a Colt Mustang I just bought.

It's got a couple of things that seem different from other Mustangs I've seen, I'm wondering if it might be either modified, or a special model.

The gun is blued, SN MU314**, and has a "Colt 150" medallion in the grips. The safety lever appears to be nickel plated, as well as the hammer. The chamber and feed ramp appears to be either chrome or nickel plated, very smooth and shiny. Has someone modified this gun, or is it original? Also, I got this in very nice condition for $450.00. Was this a good price?

·
Registered
182 Posts
It sounds like someone has replaced saftey with stainless and had the feed ramp polished . I dont thik you have a special run . as far as the price ,$350 is a good price, $450 would be a high average.

·
Registered
149 Posts
+1 on previous post. I would go to Wolff Spring and order their Mustang spring Kit. Replace the double recoil with the single spring and mag spring. Their mag spring is a +5% if I remember. The mag release spring was weak on mine I replaced it also. Now get a manual from Colt if you don't have one. You will need it when you flip ejector over when cleaning. It happens and Colt manual tells you how to turn around. 2nd thing, With slide off or if removing safety for any reason. Their is a SPRING and little parts behind /under safety. They will really fly if you don't watch out. I don't know of any one that has these parts if you cant find. I use a big clear plastic bag when working on things like this. If my old fingers slip everything caught in bag nothing lost .The Mustang is a nice pistol and easy shooting. When I carry I use CorBon 90grHP I will be switching to new 380 DPX CorBon in next few weeks. I have DPX in my 3" 45's and they are great. This is not +P ammo.and fine in Mustang.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice;

I actually ordered a manual from Colt before the gun arrived--I helped a friend find one of these a few weeks ago (Mustang Plus II)...he immediately took it apart without the manual, and promptly bent the ejector...

I'm having problems with the safety on my gun, though. I cannot engage the safety with the hammer cocked, unless I pull the hammer back slightly while engaging the safety. Got to get that fixed, doesn't look like it should be too complicated or expensive.

Already ordered a Wolf spring with the metal recoil rod, to replace the crummy plastic one. Run 100 rounds through the gun in the past couple of days; it's a sweet shooter, and small enough for concealed carry. Only wish I had gotten stainless....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Their really nothing wrong with the plastic rod. Many mustangs are more reliable with it than the metal. Trigger is that crumy plastic also. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Hint, When you remove the safety Do it in a clear plastic bag. then if your fingers slip or just a bad day you won't loose the parts that will come flying out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't know where your getting a steel recoil rod from unless some one started manufacturing it again. I bought a Scott Mcdougel kit last year on ebay and I believe the spring that came with it was a Wolf spring. I found the single spring left a lot of play in the reciever to frame and replaced it with the original double spring and now it is tight.

·
Registered
17 Posts
web page

Brownells carries the steel guide rods and springs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Brownells shows the rod in their catalog. I ordered one almost two years ago and it's still back ordered. Ebay is the only chance of finding one and once the bidding starts you,ll be suprised at how many people are looking for the same rod.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wolff now lists a steel rod for the Mustang. You can see it on line at Gunsprings.com. It comes in either stainless or black.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Like the man says their avaliable from Wolff springs in SS or Black and choice of lbs. in recoil spring.around 20 bucks. I switched mine out but still don't belive really needed.The plastic worked fine for years.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Colt Government .380 Question

>>I am looking for a full length stainless steel guide rod for my Colt Government .380. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look...? I have seen them offered for the Mustang...but not the Government model. Thanks...!...TW<<

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Colt Government .380 Question

Try ACCUR-TUNE, INC. P.O. box 190 belton S.C. 29627. Phone # 864-338-7714. I picked 1 up from him at a gun show in Atlanta back in may. He wasn't sure it was for a govt 380, so he told me to take it and try it . if it fit pay him ,if not send it back. This was from a man I had never met. When i tried it it was the correct rod, so I gladly sent the check and a thank-you note. He had someone machine these for him, and had several available back in may.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Colt Government .380 Question

[ QUOTE ]
Try ACCUR-TUNE, INC. P.O. box 190 belton S.C. 29627. Phone # 864-338-7714. I picked 1 up from him at a gun show in Atlanta back in may. He wasn't sure it was for a govt 380, so he told me to take it and try it . if it fit pay him ,if not send it back. This was from a man I had never met. When i tried it it was the correct rod, so I gladly sent the check and a thank-you note. He had someone machine these for him, and had several available back in may.

[/ QUOTE ]

>>Thanks muchly - that's the best news I've heard yet! I will try them today...TW<<

·
Registered
17 Posts
On the safety not functioning and disassembly in a bag, I will add that most often times, on the Gov't 380 and the Mustang (I'm sure) that the plunger that rides atop of the spring and seats in indentions on the back of the safety is very prone to flying out if one is not careful when stripping the gun. Be advised that if this is your problem, that little plunger is going to be tough to find. I just went through this with my Gov't 380 and it took a little searching before finally getting a used one from Colt. Numrich and Colt both no longer show them as being in stock and they list them as DISCONTINUED parts. Just my 2 cents worth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts