Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently inherited a Colt National Match 1911 style. With the exception of a few rust areas the gun is in really nice shape.
I have a problem, I think with it but not sure....
When I pull back the slide and then release it without ammo in the clip the slide goes forward and the hammer drops to the safe position. When I do the same with ammo in the clip the hammer stays back until I pull the trigger.
Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
Hammer follow is a common problem with O-frame Colts with match or worn triggers. Dropping the slide on an empty chamber is not considered good form, as the shock is much greater than when the slide is slowed by picking up a round and chambering it. That is why the hammer does not follow when chambering a round. While not the safest condition, the half-cock notch is serving its function by catching the hammer before it hits the primer, and, uless the half cock notch fails, will prevent "full auto" fire.

Match shooters with very light triggers on their O-frame target guns hold the trigger back when releasing the slide, so trigger bounce will not release the sear. Do not think that unsafe, as it is exactly what happens when you fire the gun. In firing, the trigger stays pulled as the slide ejects and reloads the chamber before the shooter can release the trigger for the next shot.

I agree with df that is would be wisest to get the trigger fixed.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,888 Posts
Time to see a good pistolsmith.

Likely something in the hammer/sear/disconnector is worn and needs to be either replace or repaired.

I recommend a good pistolsmith for this due to the gun having a Match grade trigger.
These are set to much lighter/closer specs than normal 1911 pistols, and the parts need an expert's attention to get it fixed so it SAFE, and so it still has a Match-quality trigger.

In any case DO NOT shoot this pistol until it's been repaired.
The hammer dropping when the slide closes is a classic indication of an unsafe trigger.

Shooting a 1911 in this condition will likely cause uncontrollable full-auto bursts......NOT SAFE....for you or the gun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts