Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello out there and Greetings from Connecticut. I have a New Army and Navy revolver that has a lanyard loop and on the back-strap in fancy engraving is "Conn National Guard". Has any one else seen one of these? Are there any other military "engraved back straps" out there? I think I'm starting a collection of military "New Army and Navy" revolvers.
Thanks for any info or photographs.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Speaking of photographs...post some!
You better not advertise that fact that you have these, Malloy will confiscate them before anybody finds out that the CT National Guard has/had guns!

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, 3AD.

Robert Best, Forum member "COLTDAGUY," mentions Conn. National Guard New Army's several times in his excellent reference entitled, New Army and Navy Pattern Double Action Revolvers 1889 to 1908. He states that some of the civilian New Army Model of 1894 revolvers that served with the Conn. National Guard were recalled in 1917 for refurbishment at the Remington Works and received "L.E.B." inspector's initials above the left stock. They later became Lend-Lease guns and were reamed to accept the British .38-200 round. And, were equipped with British style lanyard rings. The CNG guns are found in the 73xxx to 74xxx SN range, according to Mr. Best.

If you're going to collect these, you will appreciate Bob's book!

Dick

·
Colt Archivist
1,100 Posts
Hello out there and Greetings from Connecticut. I have a New Army and Navy revolver that has a lanyard loop and on the back-strap in fancy engraving is "Conn National Guard". Has any one else seen one of these? Are there any other military "engraved back straps" out there? I think I'm starting a collection of military "New Army and Navy" revolvers.
There are at least one of these shipments, if not more. I have seen a couple that were pretty beat up. Pictures of yours, please!

I don't know about the backstraps, but there are, of course, the US Army Models of 1892, 1894, 1901, and 1903 of this model all marked on the butt of the gun, and also the US Navy model 1895 marked similarly. The good news - these are relatively common and inexpensive. The bad news - many that I see show heavy use.

Member DS326 is absolutely correct in suggesting Bob Best's book. That is the definitive resource for information on these. Good luck in your collecting!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is a sad "state" of affairs. My buddies down south laugh at me when I show them my "Ammunition Permit". Now for some reason there is a word out that you can not ship pre 1898 cartridge weapons to CT. Not even to an 03 C&R.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I know of at least one other. It was at a shop in Kentucky. I purchased it, but returned it after inspection because it had a destroyed forcing cone. Unfortunately, I did not keep a record of the serial number.

·
Registered
717 Posts
It is a sad "state" of affairs. My buddies down south laugh at me when I show them my "Ammunition Permit". Now for some reason there is a word out that you can not ship pre 1898 cartridge weapons to CT. Not even to an 03 C&R.
Yeah, we just did our taxes on Thursday... This place eats it! As if I needed another reason to leave! But somehow the state is going broke???!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am at UCONN Medical Center in Farmington a lot. My wife and I have started a "hobby" of counting passengers on the Fastrac Buses Malloy pushed. Highest body count for 2015 was 6.

·
Registered
717 Posts
$550 Million wasted and now we are broke again and the highways need to be fixed. I must be dumber than him for not leaving.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If we didn't have our family's farm to operate, we would be down south.

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
It is amazing how there is no reporting on the Fastrac, revenue and expenses, yet they are taking the traditional bus routes and folding them into the FastRac to muddle the waters ! sorry a little off topic, but I had to rant.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Back in the day, all small arms were purchased by the Army and then redistributed to the other various branches of service. Just before the production end of the Army/Navy revolvers, this was changed so that each branch was funded to buy their own (approved) guns. So, the Connecticut National Guard guns were most likely bought and sent out by the Army. All this is covered in Bob Best's book on the Army and Navy model Colts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just got my Colt letter on mine. It was a shipment of 36 guns on July 22, 1896 shipped to Connecticut National Guard. Factory Engraved on strap "Conn National Guard" and C154 under the stocks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts