Colt Forum banner

Colt New Army Caliber??

721 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  guy sajer 
#1 ·
I just got a colt New Army #279### .I was told it was in 38 long colt.On the side it is marked Colt D.A 38,I needed to order some 38 l/c so just to see I put in a 38 special fits just fine.I know 38 l/c is a shorter round so I didn't expect it to fit?I do want to shoot this but will wait until I get some advice?Lock up and all else on this gun is very tight.Thanks in advance for the help.

#2 ·
I understand that many of them had bored through cylinders. Until lately, the 38 LC was discontinued. The cowboy action shooters brought it back. If you are a reloader an old Hercules manual list 3.0 grains of bullseye behind a 150 gr. bullet for about 800 fps. This load is almost identical to the 38 special wadcutter load for target shooting. Now new manuals list 38 LC data for cowboy action. If it were me I would not be afraid of using starting 38 special load data and cases in these guns, but that is just me. Although I wonder how many of them have been fired with 38 special in the past without knowing anything different.

#5 ·
Thanks A1A ,That gives me alot to think about.I bought this gun on a whim,and should have done some more homework.I shoot all my guns so if I can't safely do it with this one I will find it a new home.I have a 1894 44/40 single action that I shoot black powder loads out of,I am very careful about the loads I use.

#6 ·
Goex loads .38LC w/BP & a hollow base bullet that expands to grip the rifleing. (and works quite well) It is sold under the trade name"GOEX BLACK DAWGE CARTRIDGES"

BP is a little messy to clean up after, But gives full power w/less pressure than even a wimpy modern load.

#7 ·
When Remington discontined 38 LC back in the mid 1980's , I bought a case . I also would pick up a box or 2 whenever it popped up .

I shoot my DA38's . Not hard , but I don't worry too much about an occasional box or 2 of shells fire though them . They are mechanically sound . No problems in 20 yrs . /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.