Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shot it for the first time today. Bought it NIB last Sunday.'82 model. What the!! It has a plastic stop that sticks out of the loading-unloading slot. I have a SAA 357 NIB '78 in '78. Nothing like this. If this is a safety feature, it's for the birds.It shoots as I expected, real nice. I wasn't expecting a thing a majig.

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
You have the model of New Frontier .22 with the cross-bolt safety. When Colt re-introduced the New Frontier .22 in 1982, this was the primary new feature. They were manufactured this way from 1982 to 1986. If the cross-bolt safety button in your revolver is made of plastic, it is unusual. I have examined many of these revolvers and all the ones I have seen had steel buttons. Total production of this model revolver was only about 19,000 so you actually have a relatively scarce gun. They were produced in two finishes (blue & case color and full blue) and three barrel lengths (4.4, 6 and 7 1/2 inches)

- - - - Buckspen

·
Premium Member
7,961 Posts
I'm getting a little forgetful on my peacemaker/new Frontier 22 facts... But I think Colt also dropped the extra 22 mag cylinder that the 1970's version had as an option. So the 80's era were 22LR only. Please correct me if I am mistaken on that, Buckspen or somebody.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
The crossbolt safety models ,that began with G serial numbers above 200,000, all had flat faced barrels,. These for some unknown Colt reason ,were for 22 lr only. I have 3 of these, all 6 inchers. One is nib ,I bought for my son and will give it to him , one as nib ,and the 3rd a shooter in 99% condition. Nice revolvers ,increasing in value.

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
True! The New Frontier .22s with cross-bolt safety were designed by Colt for .22 LR only. The barrel was bored and rifled for the .22LR and the cylinders were chambered appropriately. And, as Lawman67 stated above, the barrels had flat muzzles.

Last year, I wrote an article about these guns for the Colt Collector's Association magazine, THE RAMPANT COLT, which appeared in the Winter 2012 issue. I discussed these revolvers in depth and put forth some information that I don't believe had ever been in print before.

As unattractive as the cross-bolt safety was, I still find them to be interesting revovers and they certainly have a place in the history of Colt.

- - - Buckspen

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's interesting when I loaded it for the first time I didn't notice that black thing in there. I noticed when trying to unload, I had no idea it was there. I almost packed it up and just continue with my other .22s. Took off the cylinder and examined it, even attacked it with needle nose pliers. I guess I have a question weather this thing is suppose to retract itself on the second click or manually. Mine is a manual push but I may have messed it up. Mine was NIB, but it didn't have roll marked that I should read the manual first,ha ha. Really I didn't want to unpack the instructions and I didn't think it had any surprises. Little did I know.

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
Here is how it's supposed to work:

The most interesting feature of the GS NF .22 revolvers was the cross-bolt safety. In operation, the shooter would pull the hammer back to the half-cock position, open the loading gate, press the safety bolt in and then load the chambers. The shape of the safety bolt prevents inserting a cartridge into the chamber unless the bolt is pressed in. After loading, the gate was closed and the hammer lowered to the safety position (hammer slightly off the firing pin). When the shooter brought the hammer back to the full cock position, the safety was automatically disengaged.

There is a spring and ball detent that holds the button in place. It is automatically deactivated by pulling the hammer back. It works off the hand.
Attached is a scan of page 19 from the manual that came with the gun.
- - - - Buckspen
View attachment 40001

1 - 8 of 8 Posts