Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 3/4" new frontiwer in 22lr/22mag.With the rear sight turned all the way down it still shoots high.I tried grounding the top of the rear blade which was higher than the holder itself. I got .020" off and it helped alittle but I need more.Its about 2" high at 15 yards with most ammo.I noticed theres air space below the rear sight at the lower back step of that slot the whole assembly sits in but the slot in the top strap wont allow it to go lower and touch down on that step.note the picture,the sight is all the way down-- rearsight

·
Registered
144 Posts
What ammo are you using. High speed stuff like Mini-Mags can cause the gun to recoil more and faster than standard velocity ammo causing the gun to shoot high. Try a couple different brands and you may find one it likes. Actually, 2" isn't bad. These guns were never meant to be fine target pistols. They're fun plinkers, but that's all. If you really want it zeroed a gunsmith could mill the channel in the top strap a bit deeper to allow the rear sight to sit lower.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,693 Posts
I'm not going to be a lot of help on this one.
Most Colt sights bottom on the sight leaf, not on the rear portion, so that looks normal.

There's a number of reasons why your gun is shooting too high, most probably it's a factory defect.

I'd recommend not botching anything up trying to further lower a rear sight that isn't going to be right anyway.
The rear simply shouldn't have to be set that low, and even if you could figure out a way to FORCE it to be lower, it's still wrong.

I'd recommend sending the gun in to Colt. Possibly, they will correct it for no charge.
If they do charge, they'll send you an estimate first.
At least you'd have it done right.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my Buntline New Frontier, so I had the front sight replaced with higher patridge style, and now I like the gun even more. If originality is important to you, I agree that sending it to Colt is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
9,697 Posts
I disagree that "high Speed" ammunition causes a gun to shoot high because of increased recoil. On the contrary, the higher the speed, the shorter the barrel time, and the less the muzzle rises before the bullet exits. That is the reason light, fast bullets tend to shoot so low in handguns.

Perhaps using "hyper velocity" (Stingers, etc.) ammunition will help the subject NF shoot lower without altering it further.

·
Registered
111 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I disagree that "high Speed" ammunition causes a gun to shoot high because of increased recoil. On the contrary, the higher the speed, the shorter the barrel time, and the less the muzzle rises before the bullet exits. That is the reason light, fast bullets tend to shoot so low in handguns.

Perhaps using "hyper velocity" (Stingers, etc.) ammunition will help the subject NF shoot lower without altering it further.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that's my experience as well. Counterintuitive, but true!

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
rear sight should be raised up not down,raising it up brings the front sight down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think of the gun as pivoting on the front sight. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
er you lower the rear sight if you need to hit lower on target . Anyway I changed out the front sight for a beautiful partridge front sight slightly higher and that corrected my problem. forget about brands of ammo and recoiling differently-this is a 22. I now can shoot any brands and adjust accordingly. bth_coltnf.jpg The other Colt is a my 4 3/4" 1963 2nd gen New Frontier in 45LC. Also has that same problem and I think I will change out that front sight too!!

·
Premium Member
6,135 Posts
View attachment 443370 The other Colt is a my 4 3/4" 1963 2nd gen New Frontier in 45LC. Also has that same problem and I think I will change out that front sight too!![/QUOTE]
I would think twice about changing the front sight on a 4 3/4” New Frontier 45 second gen.. That is a very rare gun, sure it’s not a 3rd generation?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well it has only 4 numbers on the serial number plus the letters. I think that puts it at 1963 last time I looked it up. Rare or not Ive been shooting it and taking very good care on it . For me guns shouldn't be just looked at. And if they don't hit what your aiming at it doesn't matter how rare, it aint good for nothing. Anyway I'm not looking to sell it for profit,I want to enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
OP are you using center hold or six o'clock hold on the target? My only New Frontier .22 is a 9" Buntline, but it prefers a 6:00 hold.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts