Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I bought a New Frontier with the box and some of the literature that came with it, however I'm having one heck of a time trying to serial date it. I spoke to a rep at Colt and he told me he thought it was manufactured in 1982 and that it was a Third Generation. Now I may be wrong but the box and literature seems to have been printed much earlier than 1982. The serial number is G1927XX, on the box end it says Model G2461 and it looks like the retailer or manufacture hand wrote the 461 on the box label. I suspect the G2 means second generation. Any help with serial dating this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I believe your gun was born in 1976 The book I have says G159201 started the year 1976 with formal production ending in December with the highest serial number being G199229, in 1977 the last 17 G frames were assembled. The NF with cross bolt safety was started in 1982. Starting with G200001. Please note that even though it may have been born in 76 or 77 the actual ship date could be between 76 and 81

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
There were a total of just over 197,000 22 New Frontiers and Peacemakers made from 1970-75, some left the factory in 76. Yours would be from the end of production around 75. Those made after 1980, had the crossbolt safety and serial nunbers started at 200,000.These were in 22 lr only.All were G prefix ,except for a run of L series in 1974,from March to September.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information, it's a big help. I'm missing the original owners manual and I'm trying to find one that is original and based on the date of manufacture of the gun. :)

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
Thanks for the information, it's a big help. I'm missing the original owners manual and I'm trying to find one that is original and based on the date of manufacture of the gun. :)
There are reproductions available on the market and several can help you get the one you need based on the vintage you have. The peacemaker/new frontier/scout .22 single actions don't really follow the "generations" of the full size large caliber single action army revolvers. There is a tremendous amount of details to know about the interesting .22's. Everyone will recommend the Wilkerson's book on Scouts/peacemakers/New Frontiers, if you intend to grow your collection then its a must. It can be used to authenticate or denounce most gun with box and accessory sale items. These forum members are helpful too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. I do have a small collection of various Colts, about half of them without the box, manual and accessories. I'm trying to obtain all of the original literature and accessories that came as it did from the factory. I'm having some success on Ebay and other sites. I think I'll take your suggestion and look into getting the Wilkerson's book. Anything I can learn about the individual items in my collection is always helpful, and your right, the forum members have always been very helpful and knowledgeable. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts