Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I too learned of this forum on the S&W Forum ...nice to know it exists. Anyway, I know zilch about Colts except that I have seen a few recently thought I "needed."

Could someone provide some info regarding date, etc. on my most recent one? It is a New Frontier .22 LR (no mag. cyl.) blued of course with adjustabile sights and a case hardened frame. The grips are the black plastic with the colt on the top and eagle on the bottom. Barrel length is
4 3/8" (not 4.5 or 4.75) from the cylinder face. It is in excellent plus condition but no box. Serial number is G611XX.

Any info as to date of MFG or anything else of possible interest?

Also...is their a good book available on Colts similar to the Standard Catalog of S&W?

Thanks

------------------
C&L

·
Registered
58 Posts
You have a nice older NF,made in late 1972. It would have come in the early style 2 piece tan box(no styrofoam),and probably originally had the .22 Mag cylinder. They did make a limited number of single cylinder models(about 1,925)in that model and barrel length but there's no way to tell without the original box or a Colt letter.

The short barrel guns are the most desirable,followed by the Buntline models.Yours is actually a 4.4",some of the very earliest guns had the true 4 3/4" barrel.These are very hard to find,seldom seen in used condition and to locate one NIB would be a real find.

------------------
Jeff

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Barrocky for the info. The 4 3/4' inch barrel is the rare hard to find one i think you are saying...and not my 4.4" is that correct?

thanks...

------------------
C&L

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes, I meant the 4 3/4" barrel guns in both the .22 PM & NF are seldom seen. As a comparison,they made about 26,000 of the 4.4" dual cylinder NF's, only about 1,900 of the dual cylinder NF's had the 4 3/4" tube.

A nice 4.4" is worth holding on to,seems to be the most popular barrel length and usually always sells for the most money. I think they all shoot very well and they "talk" to you when cocking ....just as a real Colt SA should.

BTW, the black Eagle stocks are correct for all of these case hardened "G" or "L" series guns ....but you knew that.

------------------
Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts