Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up this in Tulsa last year, it was sold to me as 'antique' SN: 16329. I'm pretty sure that this gun is later that that but I would just like to clarify as this would make it C&RA few things about these early colts has got me confused regarding caliber. I know that the New Pockets were generally .32 short/long colt (as is this one) - Is it possible to find the 'Colt New Police' or the 'Pocket Positive in just this caliber? The majority out there seem to be .32 colt police aka .32 S&W. I'm looking to extend my collection!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
danSW,

You are correct, it is not an antique according to "proofhouse.com". It was manufactured in 1901 so it is a C&R revolver. I can't help with your question on the .32 Colt Police caliber since I am still learning about the Colt Revolvers.

I have a Colt New Police, S/N 18609 which was manufactured in 1902. My barrel is marked Colt D.A. 32. Here is a photo of mine.

7_ Bolt Replaced_Reassembled.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That one's in pretty good shape! I'm looking to buy another soon and want to make sure that it is pre-1899 for ease of transport. I sold the one I posted above, regret it

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
danSW,

When I bought mine, the Bolt Spring was broken, but in excellent condition. I got another Bolt from "coltparts" and when I installed it, it fit perfectly! I just love the feel of this little revolver. If not for messing it up, I would like to carry this one, LOL! Here is a photo of the inside of the revolver showing the broken Spring. All the crud you see is old dried grease. Once I cleaned it good, it was perfect inside.

5_ Hammer Removed.jpg

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
According to Haven and Belden, the .32 Colt chambering was discontinued in the Pocket Positive in 1914 and in the Police Positive in 1915. Some of those have had the chambers bored out to accept the larger S&W/New Police cartridge case, so that's something to look out for.

Dick

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dick,OK thanks for giving dates, first time I've seen that in one place. Would seem to make sense as barrel markings/date mfg often do not align with factory specs. This mean I can possible buy and export Pocket + Police positive. Thanks guys

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
danSW,

I paid $300 for the revolver and when i got it, I knew the Spring was broken as the cylinder would rotate freely, but locked up when cocked. I may have paid a little too much, but the condition of the revolver was so nice, I had to add it to my Colt collection. The Bolt & Spring was $60 so now a total of $360. I am happy with the cost I have in it especially due to the original Colt Bolt. i did fire it after i made the repair and it is a sweet shooting revolver. You just can't beat the old Colt quality!!!

·
The Consummate Collector
6,853 Posts
Picked up this in Tulsa last year, it was sold to me as 'antique' SN: 16329. I'm pretty sure that this gun is later that that but I would just like to clarify as this would make it C&RA few things about these early colts has got me confused regarding caliber. I know that the New Pockets were generally .32 short/long colt (as is this one) - Is it possible to find the 'Colt New Police' or the 'Pocket Positive in just this caliber? The majority out there seem to be .32 colt police aka .32 S&W. I'm looking to extend my collection!
To answer your question. Yes, the New Police was offered in the .32 Colt and was marked the same way as the New Pocket on the barrel (Colt D A .32):

The Pocket Positive's that were chambered in .32 Colt were marked: .32 COLT CTG on the barrel:

Since most of the New Pockets were chambered in .32 Colt the ones that were chambered in .32 S&W were marked: FOR .32 S&W CTG on the barrel:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those are some fine examples there! Thanks, as it's not always obvious as to what .32 it is in due to Colt's confusing markings/patents along with the seller being unaware. Next time I buy I'll bring a .32 S&W case and it shouldn't fit.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Very nice photos, danSW, and those grips are in surprisingly good condition. 1896, looks like. I, too, have a cylinder scored by the forward sideplate screw backing out. Deeper than yours. They don't have to back out very far, but you'd think a guy would notice something like that pretty quickly.

Dick

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I noticed that problem and it shows the wear of the gun. Hence why I want one in slightly better condition! Still funstioned fine though!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts