Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Colt New Police is marked Police Positive on one side of the barrel and Colt New Police 32 on the other. The frame and cyl crane have Ser 62026 with a 7 underneath. It is blue with a square butt and 4" bbl. I'm sure it is a police issue because it has #4344 stamped on the bottom of the grip. The interesting thing is that there is 5 "notches" carved into the rubber/bakelite grip. If the gun could only talk.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Maybe your NP killed 5 people, each were notched. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chipping of these hard rubber grips is common. Do they look like chips or do you think someone may have improved the "looks" of the chips.

Hope this helps.

Yes I said grips....they're hard rubber.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply addict. The notches I referred to are on the edge of the right grip and are obviously filed or cut into the edge of the bottom of the grip. You can see them from the side when the revolver is held upright. They are not uniformly spaced. By the way I retired as a police Lt way back in the 80's when we still used the wheel guns.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Whitehall; youe New Police is a "transition gun",made during the change from New Police to Police Positive,which finally took place in 1908. Is the trigger guard even with the frame,or is it smaller in width? The Police Positive was same width.

Advanced collectors will usually pay a slight premium for "transition guns".

No idea about the hard rubber stocks and the five notches.Quien Sabe? Maybe the owner filed these to improve his "grip",although recoil is very minimal with these guns.

Bud

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Bud. the trigger guard is even with the frame. The barrel has PP on one side and Colt's New Police 32 on the other and thare is Colt's New Police on the frame which has the old style cyl release which is square. I don't mean to make too much of the notches but they are not in a place to effect the grip. I prefer to imagine an old police battle. thanks again,JJ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts