Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend asked me to clean an old revolver she has had for several years and had not touched in the last 20 or so years.

Turns out it's a Colt Police Positive 32; 6XXX serial number puts it at 1899 manufacture. It has some rust and a few minor pits but is not beyond redemption. It certainly isn't a "show Piece" but it is far from being junk. Untill I gently clean it up I'd have to call it 75%. Unfourtunately it does not have it's original stocks, she has a set of Pachmyers installed. Barrel is marked "COLT D. A. 32".

Question time:
1. Is this worth getting excited about?
2. Colt D.A. 32 is what caliber?
3. How hard would it be to find period stocks?
4. Lastly, ballpark value?

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
117 Posts
32 Colt New Police is the same as the 32 S&W Long, just a flatnose bullet instead of a round nose bullet.

As far as excited - its the same model gun that Teddy Roosevelt picked to arm the New York City police department and it was made in the 1800's. This makes it a true "historic classic", though not a model that has a big following and subsequent demand and price.

You find stocks that old where you find them - look at every table at every gunshow, ask at every gunshop you stop at, keep an on the classifieds here and at Auction Arms and GunBroker websites etc. I've been looking for a set of OMM stocks off and on for 18 months, someday I'll find one.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Whereas the gun was made in 1899,it may NOT be in the .32 Colt "New Police" or .32 S&W Long chambering. So I would bring the gun to any shop where you want to buy ammo.

Since the .32 S&W Long did not come out until 1896,this Colt may be chambered in the .32 "Long Colt"(.32 "Short Colt" will also fit). This was originally an outside lubricated round with the heel type bullet,having the heel fit inside the case;the visible part of the bullet being the same diameter as the case-like a .22 Long Rifle.

This cartridge is of smaller diameter than the .32 S&W Long,and those will NOT fir these earlier guns. Today,the .32 "Long and Short Colt" can be bought,but use a much smaller bullet,about .299,that fits inside the case,and has a hollow base,that should expand to fit the .312-.314 sized bore.

I once owned a .32 New Police that was chambered in .32 Long and Short Colt,and a later .32 New Police Target Model that was in the .32 New Police,or .32 S&W Long.

A very confusing aspect of the early swing out Colts!

Bud

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I collect police marked/issued revolvers & the Colt New Police .32 is perhaps my favorite. Is your friend's gun police dept. marked? Replacement grips are occasionally found at gun shows. Reproductions sell for about $50 on Gunbroker.com and are generally available all the time.

Balpark value on these varies a lot according to condition,markings,etc. I have paid any where from $45 to $600 (for my New York Police issued gun that was in the lot procured by Teddy Roosevelt).

Email me a pic of the New Police if possible to [email protected]

All the best,
Charles

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cda926,
After I got "into" the gun, I found it more heavilly rusted than I initially thought. Blue on the barrel was completely gone and the blue on the frame and cylinder was in poor condition. Action was rusted but flushed out well with CLP and was quite smooth with lubricant covering all internal surfaces. I did not open up the action as I saw it as a waste of time. Gun was not Department marked but some one did scratch their badge mumber on the right side plate. Bore was sharp except for the 1mm wide, creasent shaped (half the circumference of the bore) pit. She said the gun was bright and shinny when she put it in a box about 30 years ago... I wanted to sob...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts