Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see alot of late Colts for sale on the Internet in Caliber 32 NP (New Police). The only place that I ever witnessed this caliber being carried was in Central America. I have never ran accross a new one for sale in a gun shop (and I've been in alot of gun shops)> Who or what market did Colt make this caliber for??? Thanks Steve B.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yeah, IIRC the New Police (32 or 38) were just the Smith&Wesson. For some reason Colt didn't want that on the barrel.

------------------
I'm so worried about what's hapenin' today, in the middle east, you know.
And I'm worried about the baggage retrieval system they've got at Heathrow.
I'm so worried about the fashions today, I don't think they're good for your feet.
And I'm so worried about the shows on TV that sometimes they want to repeat.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wasn't it just Colt's version of the .32 S&W long with a different bullet? For some reason, the S&W designation stuck while the other went away.

Bill A

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hi, Steve! Yeah, I've bumped into the .32 Colt NP several times. Always on a used Detective Special or Police Positive that looked really great in the dealer's case. I ask to see it, he gets it out, it looks SUPER! And it's marked about 20% less than I figure they usually are, then I notice the caliber about the same time I'm reaching for my wallet and back goes the gun and my wallet. BUT, ... since starting to read these pages, not EVERYONE says, "Ya' gotta' use AT LEAST a .38 special," either. I've never shot a .32 anything - but, I believe it was you, wasn't it, that said more people he knew had been killed with the, "sub calibers," than anything else? For my money, still, the .38 isn't exactly a Godzilla killer so I avoid anything smaller or lighter. I do know the ones I've seen for sale are marked well below what their .38 special counterparts would go for.

·
Registered
68 Posts
believe it or not the 32 New Police was introduced as a police round.

Back in the teens, before crack and coke were so prevelent, police forces like NY City and others bought thousands of 32 NPs and 32 S&W Longs and issued them to their officers for duty carry.

Now a days, people think they have to be better armed than that. Personally, I think so too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts