Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I collect police marked/issued revolvers and just picked up another New Police. This one functions fine in single action but only intermittantly in double action.The cylinder spins and indexes.The hammer just won't engage all the time unless the trigger is snapped forward with more force than usually required.It seems to work better withh the barrel pointed dowwnward. Any ideas as to cause? Difficult fix??

Help!!

Charles

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,805 Posts
There are a number of possibilities, among them are:

A dirty, gummed-up action.
A broken double action strut spring.
The action has been "home gunsmithed" and something is out of adjustment.
This is an OLD gun. It could be just plain worn.

From the sound of it, especially the fact that it works when pointed down, I'd look for a broken or missing strut spring.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I will try to locate one.Any idea where a strut spring can bought? Will a spring for a Police Positive work?

I have 5 of these New Police revolvers. This one is marked for the Toronto Police Force (TPF 116). I also have NYC,Hartford CT.,New Orleans,and Cinncinnati PD.

Best,
Charles

[This message has been edited by cda926 (edited 03-14-2005).]

[This message has been edited by cda926 (edited 03-14-2005).]

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,805 Posts
The best source of Colt parts is Gun Parts Corporation: http://www.e-gunparts.com/

The New Police was the basis for all of Colt's small frame revolvers from the early 1900's to the late 1990's "D" frames.

A strut spring from any revolver like a Police Positive, PP Special, Detective Special, Cobra, Agent, or Diamondback will work.

If you intend to "play around" with these Colt's, I highly recommend buying a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen's book "The Colt Double Action Revolvers: A Shop Manual" Volume One.

This is a pistolsmith's training and reference book explaining EVERYTHING about the Colt DA revolvers from disassembly, to troubleshooting, reassembly, adjusting the action for proper timing, fitting new parts, and proper repair work.

Price is under $30.00 from Brownell's, Midway USA, and most book sellers.

This is the best money a Colt owner can spend.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found the Kuhnhausen Colt shop manuals (Volumes 1 & 2) for $12.50 each on the internet and got the S&W manual for $14.49 also.

I have ordered the strut,strut spring,and strut pin from Numrich.

I may actually try this "fix" myself if it doesn't look too complicated. I have a tendency to start out with a gun that needs a relatively minor repair and manage to turn it into bag of parts in no time flat!!

I have a good PROFESSIONAL gunsmith's number in my speed dial for these occasions......

Thanks for all the valuable info and guidance.

Charles

[This message has been edited by cda926 (edited 03-16-2005).]

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
dfariswheel is being too nice! My recently retired gunsmith,who closed his shop,(over 80) and his right hand(over 65) both said that S&Ws are much easier to work on,and went as far as to say that "a parts changer gunsmith" can work on S&Ws!(parts changer,or swapper is a put down of a not too experienced auto mechanic!).Both of these gents showed me a lot about older Colt D.A.s(as did a stint in Air Force Security,where I "hung around" the armorers shop/indoor range at a couple of bases).

Colts have to be "fitted" and timed,and basically,ONE part serves several functions,and they have to be "in synch".While it is certainly probable that a "newbie" will screw up a S&W using files/stones,it is a certainty with a Colt D.A.(or God knows an SAA,where you are "working blind" on the bolt,hand,hammer etc.) I was told in the service,that way back,the military prefered the Colt SAA and early 1890s D.A.s over contemporary S&W "top breaks",as the Colts had less parts! Later on,law enforcement agency armorers tended to like the S&Ws as they were easier to see the action function without the sideplate on! No problem with a Colt,if you make sure the rebound lever keeps the hand "down" and bolt doesn't "jam up".

Anyway enough of my venting,and what work I don't feel qualified to do,my 2 retired smiths will take care of me,and if they "fully retire",I've got the names dfariswheel furnished. Bud

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,805 Posts
I'll throw this in:
Having a gunsmith and a COLT-qualified gunsmith are two different things.

VERY few of today's gunsmith's understand and are qualified to work on the older Colt actions.
It's not at all unusual for a Colt owner to take his pistol to a gunsmith who assures him that "of course I can fix a Colt".

This is a case of a gunsmith simply not understanding that the VERY complicated Colt action is TOTALLY different than a S&W or Ruger.
They AREN'T even similar, and what all to often happens is, the customer gets his Colt back worse off then it was.

Many gunsmith's are guilty of assuming their skills can be transfered over to the Colt's, and they wind up just plain getting in over their heads.

For this reason be VERY careful who you trust, no matter WHAT they say.

I'll recommend only three Colt repair services:
The Colt factory.
Cylinder & Slide Shop.
Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters.

I KNOW they are true Colt experts.

Have fun with your old Colt.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 03-16-2005).]

G

·
Not to walk on anyones thoughts here but, possibly, it may be of interest to contact Gene Williams of: Williams Gun Repair
Princeton, Texas? If you think you'ld be interested in contacting him, I can provide an email address and or phone number?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts