Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked this New Service up last fall at an auction.

By the serial # it's a late 30's gun with the 5 1/2 Barrel. The gun, while a very common model, is in great condition. I did some initial load work with Unique and 4227 but wasn't getting anything that satisfied me.

Lately I have begun using HS6 and have been very happy with the results so I thought I'd work up some loads with HS6 and the Lyman 454424 mold and the RCBS 270SAA mold.

The initial load of 10grs of HS6 with the 454424 shot great but low so I lowered the powder charge to 8grs and tried the RCBS 270SAA. The result was a pretty good group that's an 1" or so left but still a keeper.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I switched from Unique (after about forty years) to HS-6 and realized at least a slight accuracy improvement with my .45 Colt loads. I used the Lyman #454424 design, about 255 grs.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unique gets a lot of recommendations but I have tried it in many guns and while it's not terrible I can never get it to shoot well for me.

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
You have the better of the elevation adjustment fixes. If your using 6 o’clock hold and your fine with the gun shooting point of aim, your good to go. If your holding 6 oclock hold and you want your loads on the black ( like most modern handguns are sighted) then filing down the front sight raises your point of impact.

Does your New Service have a “T” or “L” stamp inside the frame above the serial number?

oh, Nice shooting!

·
Registered
7,184 Posts
That gun (and you) is shooting excellent. Most of my New Services shoot very low, sometimes 10" or more, but I've never worked up a load to see if I can bring it up enough. I'd never file a sight on one in good condition, regardless of it making it more shootable. It hurts their collectability, so I just let them shoot low if they do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts