Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what I believe to be a Colt New Service but the markings do not seem correct to me and I am very hesitant to make an offer because of that. I think that some of them may have been added later and some may have been modified. The bore is not in very good shape with some pitting. I would appreciate any thoughts that you may have concerning this piece. I apologize for the quality of the photos.

IMG_0749.jpg IMG_0751.jpg IMG_0750.jpg IMG_0748.jpg IMG_0752.jpg

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Colt did not mark them as ".45 L COLT"...just ".45 Colt". It looks to be a Frankengun of some type...GI marks on the bottom of the trip frame. Don't think the ordnance crossed cannons should be there...at least not during the time period the gun was made. The number on the right side of the frame is not factory either.

I say run fast and run far.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Is there an “E” stamped under the stocks on the grip frame? You may have a 455 eley chambered new service that someone took a cylinder from a 1909 45 colt revolver to convert to 45 colt.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
It’s a $300 shooter if it functions correctly. I say that because a friend of mine came home with a holster worn 1899 New Service in 38 WCF for $325 not functioning. I told him I would look at it but since it’s a pre-positive lock, it may hard to find parts that are different than post 1909 new services. I luck out fixing it with only needing to fit one part that never appeared to be fitted. He has a $7-800; gun now that still shows some fire blue. The above gun will never be correct but if it functions you could get that if you decide to sell.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Looks like some British proof marks sprinkled around on it, especially visible in pic #3. As old as that gun is, and with its unusual markings, there's probably some interesting history behind it.

I make the serial number to be 73441 - 1904?

·
Registered
462 Posts
I believe it once said .455 ELEY under the .45 L Colt stamp. The Y is still visible at the end.

It is assuredly a Model 1909 platform. Perhaps shipped to Great Britain for substitute standard military purposes, or Canada for the MP. I don't know what to make of the butt markings or the C-number.

Cylinder from another gun?

RAC is a US inspector from the late 1800s through early 1910s. Rinaldo A Carr

Crazy stuff, right there. Yep.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all very much for your insight and expertise, you guys know some stuff! I will definitely pass, there are too many nice M1917 New Service floating around out there to waste money on a modified and re-marked revolver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts