Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! If you have any information on valuation, it would be much appreciated. It's a Colt New Service .455 Eley. Colt's version of a Webley. According to Proofhouse, 1916 manufacture, dead in the center of WWI but I have no proof it was ever in that war. It has bone grips stamped with number 27 and wording I cannot decipher…is there a way to tell if they are ivory? What appears to be an original lanyard ring. Also on the right side of the frame is (hand) stamped '...128'. It does not appear to have been refinished though the finish is surprisingly good for a 98 year old pistol. If it has been, it was years ago (is there a way to tell?). It has not been converted to 45acp as some had been. As I understand it, the 455 had better ballistic characteristics at the time, but John Browning had just introduced the 1911 so we all know where that went... 4" barrel. Wish I had the original holster as that may have told more of its story. I have not sent off for more info from Colt, I guess I should. It locks up like a drum with zero rattle or shake, also very surprising considering its age. Screws are clear with little to no signs of monkeying around with it (I was very careful in removing and reinstalling the grips). There is a triangle on front left of the trigger on the frame with something inside of it...I believe it is a Colt cartouche. Does not have British proof marks.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Many of these were converted to more readily available US calibers. As you probably know, it is worth more in unconverted condition. Fiocchi makes ammunition in this caliber. Hornaday used to make this caliber but I don't see it cataloged anymore. I think it would of shipped with black HR stocks. Sounds like a nice New Service. I'd send for a letter.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Do not bet the farm on the Proofhouse information. Your actual manufacture date will be at least a year or two off from what they list for your pistol. A letter from Colt is $100.00 for a New Service. A 100 day turn around time right now. The letter may or may list the grip material. Inside your triangle should be the letters VP for verified proof. A Colt proof testing stamp. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.