Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Friends, these picture came today. What do you think about this revolver (No. is 337148..no letter). The owner says 5-inches. I am interested because I am looking for a NS under 5 1/2. Please have a look!!! Do not be kind&friendly as I still can say NO.
We have not talked about the price...
It could be one of those left-over-parts-guns from 1933. The cylinder looks .45 Colt.
It is rather banged up a bit... The hard-rubber stocks on such a late gun...strange and one corner gone forever.
Peter

·
The Consummate Collector
7,509 Posts
Peter

It appears to be a parts gun from the serial number. The barrel looks like a 5 1/2" to me. He may be measuring the barrel back to the frame instead of going to the cylinder. If it truly measures 5" then you need to check with the factory to see what the ledger book says as that is not a standard length for a .45 NS.

Cam.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Wonder what the “S” stamped on the side of the frame is?
Good Question... the present owner does not know and I have no idea. But the first thing is to find out whether it is 5 (rare) or (common) 5 1/2 - Cam is probably right and the owner just measured it the wrong way.... The condition is not very nice. This gun should be "cheap".

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Probably a Stembridge gun…

·
The Consummate Collector
7,509 Posts
GRI,
Would you mind taking another look...
I have never seen one in real life before...It looks banged around ...like something nobody cared for... View attachment 744666
I missed it when I first looked at the pictures but that is a Stembridge marked gun. I own two of them and that is exactly how they are marked and where they are marked. The gun is probably banged around from being used in movies. I don't think they took very good care of them on the movie set or even cared. An interesting piece.

Cam

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Would be a worthwhile gun to own

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I missed it when I first looked at the pictures but that is a Stembridge marked gun. I own two of them and that is exactly how they are marked and where they are marked. The gun is probably banged around from being used in movies. I don't think they took very good care of them on the movie set or even cared. An interesting piece.

Cam
Kind of you to take a look. A Stembridge NS... I am still curious about the barrel length... and the price.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Note that these guns were used a lot in Westerns as a sub for the SAA…it was easier to use for many actors…the barrel length would let it work in a 5 1/2” holster and look right from a distance

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Note that these guns were used a lot in Westerns as a sub for the SAA…it was easier to use for many actors…the barrel length would let it work in a 5 1/2” holster and look right from a distance
On the other Hand... John Wayne did not use it... no one would risk something like that. It was a gun for third class heroes.... No more jokes.
Thank you for looking!!!
Peter

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Tom Mix…made Westerns through 1935…Stembridge started in 1920

Sleeve Hat Sun hat Collar Handgun holster

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Is this a New Service????
Be my guess…remember the blanks they used were for .44/45 caliber weapons…not much available in double actions…it looks like it could be a NS to me

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
I read they even attached dummy ejector housings to the guns to make them look like single actions

·
The Consummate Collector
7,509 Posts
A friend of mine has one of John Wayne's guns. I believe that he used it in several of the last movies that he made. It was given to him by Pat Wayne as a gift. It serializes in the 50,000 range (1879) and is a .45 with the 4 3/4" barrel.

Cam.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A friend of mine has one of John Wayne's guns. I believe that he used it in several of the last movies that he made. It was given to him by Pat Wayne as a gift. It serializes in the 50,000 range (1879) and is a .45 with the 4 3/4" barrel.

Cam.
I just got the information that it is (as you said) 5 1/2...so nothing special.
The price will be $ 600. ...a lot and too much if the "S" would not make it a Stembridge gun. What do you think???
Peter

·
Registered
750 Posts
Peter, you have to judge on your local market and circumstances. $600 for a New Service is cheap on this side of the pond. So it is hard to offer an opinion that would do you any good.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Peter, you have to judge on your local market and circumstances. $600 for a New Service is cheap on this side of the pond. So it is hard to offer an opinion that would do you any good.
Thank you for your answer. Here the price is upper average... but I have never seen such a late parts-gun on the market here and Stembridge sounds nice.
My question is: does the movie-connection ad to the value or is it just an explanation for those scratches and handling marks.
Peter

1 - 20 of 35 Posts