Colt Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
The Consummate Collector
7,523 Posts
I just got the information that it is (as you said) 5 1/2...so nothing special.
The price will be $ 600. ...a lot and too much if the "S" would not make it a Stembridge gun. What do you think???
Peter

Peter

$600 here on this side of the pond is very reasonable, especially for one that is marked with an S. It does add value but of course it always depends on the buyer's view. I will get some pics taken of mine and post them. We have the grandsons through Friday and then a gun show on Saturday so it will most likely be Sunday before I post them. It may lend some additional info to help your decision-making.

Cam.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Peter

$600 here on this side of the pond is very reasonable, especially for one that is marked with an S. It does add value but of course it always depends on the buyer's view. I will get some pics taken of mine and post them. We have the grandsons through Friday and then a gun show on Saturday so it will most likely be Sunday before I post them. It may lend some additional info to help your decision-making.

Cam.
Cam, have a great weekend! This helps quite a bit. I have to find out if any bad things are hidden under those grips (handmade hole for lanyard ring or things like that.) One simple question I forgot to ask: Did Stembridge buy from Colt? In other words: Do these later guns letter as Stembridge?
Peter

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you do not see it as more desirable to you, then no, the Stembridge connection adds no value. Most here would add value to the gun, they are hard to get, often expensive and, hell, it is a movie gun. Some of the most die hard (pun) fans of Western movies are in Germany and it was probably used in multiple movies, to include westerns. I doubt there are many of the Stembridge guns in Europe.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Gri, This is a drop of oil into my shopping machinery... I will try to buy it (when there are no more hidden problems...)
Thank you all. This was really helpfull for me and I learned something.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,523 Posts
Cam, have a great weekend! This helps quite a bit. I have to find out if any bad things are hidden under those grips (handmade hole for lanyard ring or things like that.) One simple question I forgot to ask: Did Stembridge buy from Colt? In other words: Do these later guns letter as Stembridge?
Peter
Dogface6 is correct, Stembridge bought guns wherever they could find them however, that included buying bunches of them from Colt. I just returned from my trip and will try and get some photo's posted as soon as I can. Off to the Smokey Mountain gun show at 6 tomorrow morning.

Cam.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,523 Posts
Peter

Sorry for the delay in posting these but here are a few pictures of my two Stembridge New Services. While Stembridge inventoried lots of Colt New Services this New Service Target was reportedly the only one in the Stembridge stable of guns.

This 5 1/2" shipped to Stembridge in a group of ten:

Some Stembridge ammo:

Evidently, Heston didn't like the full loads:

A photo of Charlton Heston with J.S. Stembridge checking out some of the Stembridge Rental guns:

Note the "S" marking on the left side of the frame which is a standard marking for Stembridge guns:

Cam.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Cam, that is really something. Thank you for posting.
10 New Service about the same time as the British had their Dunkirk buy-out. Did that beautiful NS Target letter as Stembridge shipment too???
peter

·
The Consummate Collector
7,523 Posts
Cam, that is really something. Thank you for posting.
10 New Service about the same time as the British had their Dunkirk buy-out. Did that beautiful NS Target letter as Stembridge shipment too???
peter
Peter, it went through the J.F. Galef Company in 1930 but does have the Stembridge S marking on it so the gun did end up at Stembridge.

Cam

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Peter, it went through the J.F. Galef Company in 1930 but does have the Stembridge S marking on it so the gun did end up at Stembridge.

Cam
Cam,
it seems Galef was a big player....

I finally bought No. 337148 and will have it lettered. Who knows where it went.
I think it was really used as a movie-gun as the barrel has not experienced much loving care but a number of blanks without cleaning. The rest looks quite well. I had some good original gips in my drawer . Now it looks like an old New Service with some stories to tell.
Thank you very much for helping me with so much information!!!
Peter

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I recall that a Stembridge retiree had the records of their guns but he may have passed away now. I talked to him once about an “S”-marked SAA. Very knowledgeable but the info may now be lost.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I recall that a Stembridge retiree had the records of their guns but he may have passed away now. I talked to him once about an “S”-marked SAA. Very knowledgeable but the info may now be lost.
I tried the internet. But there seems to be no simple way to get to this information. We are lucky to have Colt Archives with ist easy and a bit expensive access to information.
Peter

21 - 35 of 35 Posts