Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pistol for which the grips are sought has a most recent patent date of July 4 1905. The pistol is a .45 Long Colt shooter made up for me by a Mr. Chet Paulsen up in Tacoma, Wa. back in the early seventies . Both double and single action are tuned, the timing is correct, and the bluing like new. It has a jeweled hammer and stag grips. I have shot only mild loads in it, and have never shot it as much as I'd expected to, I think because I had only one Pachmyr grip adapter for that frame and I didn't like to switch it from the .38-40 New Service to the .45. I'd like to get some fuller grips for it and put the stags up, though I don't want to take the lanyard swivel off. I bought some Pachmyr grips for a Colt I frame on E Bay but they are not a good fit and the swivel would have to be taken off. I'm brand new on this forum and hope I'm not being too presumptuous with this query. Does anyone know of a grip source that might have something that will fit my criteria or a custom grip maker that might help me with this?

------------------
"All generalizations contain errors, including this one."

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Welcome to the Forum chumkum. I have shot my New Services for many years and they tend to be uncomfortable for some peoples hands.Your dilema is not wanting to remove the lanyard ring;it is a very e-z job. I have 2 pair of the correct Pachmayr "rubber grips". The E or I frames are not a good fit. The correct Pachmayr says "Colt Army Large Frame" inside both grip halves. But as you said,the lanyard & pin must be removed. To save the "fragile" hard rubber original stocks on my New Services,i use a pair of old wooden 1917 grips & the grip adapter(which I was lucky enought to find "a lot" of them.) You know that the N.Service hasnt been in production for 60 years,but with big $$, a stock maker will make you a pair. YOU can adapt the E&I frame target grips to the N.S.,but it requires work & again,lanyard removal. Good Luck & let me know if I can help you,as I have a couple pair of aftermarket replacement grips for the N.S.,both in black original and fake pearl,plus the grip adapter. Bud

·
Registered
81 Posts
Lonewolf is right that what you need are the Pachmayr Colt Army grips, and they are superb unless you have real small hands. However, it is NOT necessary (nor desirable) to remove the lanyard swivel when using these grips. Where the two grip panels come together on the bottom of the butt there is a rectangular embossed area with "Presentation by Pachmayr" molded in the rectangle. Take an Exacto knife and cut the rectangular area out. Align the long axis of the lanyard swivel parallel with the barrel and the grips will fit perfectly. About half the swivel will protrude through the grip. It won't swivel any more, but you won't have to remove it and it has no effect on your hold. The Pachmayr Colt Army grips can be frequently found on Ebay for $10-$20.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Good point Robert about that little panel on the bottom of the Pachs;thats what I thought it was for. I remove the lanyard(with proper size punch & wood block under grip frame) to prevent it from banging up & scratching the bottom of butt and stocks ,as I do a great deal of bench shooting from sandbags to test loads. A piece of tape over the hole prevents "crud" from entering the "works". I also change the thumb latch,on my old style New Services to the newer rounded one(which Colt changed on the D & E Frames around 1908,but not the N.S. til 1932 or so!). So,these changes take me about 5-10 minutes before & after a range session,but my hands are no longer cut up after 100-200 rds.I also had a pair of original gutta percha stocks get chipped on a 4 1/2" .45 Colt when firing with the lanyard from the bench-and this gives me an "excuse" to "take apart" & clean these grand old guns,of which I am the "caretaker". Bud

·
Registered
81 Posts
You make an equally good point, Lonewolf. I never shoot off a bench and frankly had not considered the fact that a lanyard swivel would be an impediment in that situation. But, you're right. So Chumkum can decide which path is best for him. In either case, swivel or no, I think those Pachmayr Colt Army's are hard to beat. They fit the hand real well, sweaty palms are no problem, and they soak up recoil well on the bigger calibers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you gentlemen, both. I am greatly in your debt for your kindness and most helpful information. Individual emails have been sent. Keep 'em smoking.
Best Regards,
Chumkum

1 - 6 of 6 Posts