Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all ...

My first post. I'm a lifelong shooter and hunter and am happy to join and learn. I'm hoping you guys can help me with the Colt I inherited from my Dad almost 25 years ago. A few months back I began to try to research exactly what I have.

Here's what I know:

-Gun was re-blued at some point. Pearl Grips installed.
-Colt Factory Rep said gun was a "Colt Army Special Model"
-Left side of barrel stamped .45 Colt.
-Serial # found on inside of crane and frame. 86XXX
-Right side of frame stamped C586. (can be seen in pic)
-Cylinder stamped 586.
-Just above Cylinder release G7 with an E under. Beside that to the right a B with B2 under it. There are faint symbols above these marks.

Any ideas on exactly what I have here? ProofHouse indicates a 1915 production date based on Serial #.(Assuming it's a New Service") Is it a "New Service" or a "Colt Special Army Model?
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much ...

PsTaN

Attachments

Reactions: bmcgilvray

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks so much guys ... I feel like I'm learning ... I thank you all!!

Now, the polishing done on this gun was "harsh" when it was refinished. Most markings that are left are faint ... if there at all. All that's left on the top of the barrel is "PT FA MFG". As Oye stated there was quite a bit more there at one time.

I might add that the gun locks up tight, has a really nice bore, and there is very little forward/rear play in the cylinder.

The 3 pics below show the best markings left on the gun. Pardon the dirty cylinder as she still needs a serious bath.

I really do appreciate the time of everyone here.

PsTaN

Attachments

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much for the time you guys have spent helping me. Here's what I now know:

- The gun is a "New Service".

- was manufactured in 1915.
- was in British Service.
- Originally chambered for .455 Eley.
- At some point after service use, the gun was heavily polished and refinished.

I took the gun out yesterday and fired a box of Federal 225 gr. SWC through it. I was able to bench shoot a 2.5" group at 20yrds. I believe the gun is capable of better .... I love it!!

What ammo would you all suggest? Would Hard Cast be ok?

Thanks so much ...

PsTaN

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.