Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Colt Forum Group! John from NY here and I'm brand new to the site. I have a question about a Colt New Service and pictures will follow as soon as the batteries charge up. I recently purchased a later model Colt NS which has a newer style cylinder release and the barrel is marked "45 Colt". My question is that a 45 Colt round will not go all the way into the cylinder but a .45 ACP round will. Cylinder will close with six rounds of .45ACP attached to a full moon clip. I was thinking that someone had a .45 ACP cylinder fitted to a frame and barrel that were originally a .45 Colt gun. But than I read someplace that the commercial New Service guns actually came that way from the factory. I wish I could find where I read that tidbit of info. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your thoughts :)

John

·
The Consummate Collector
7,950 Posts
John. Welcome to the Colt Forum. Your gun is most likely chambered for the .45 ACP. Just look inside one of the cylinder chambers and if it is bored only half way down then it's for the .45 ACP. Colt marked the barrels the same as for the .45 Colt so the gun most likely came that way from the factory. Looking forward to seeing a picture and please let us know the serial number range as well. Example S/N 324xxx.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there Colt Guy and Happy Snow... I appreciate the information as I thought I had been duped. The gun came via Gunbroker and the way it works here in NY you have to submit paperwork to the County Clerks Office and they add they add the gun to your permit and than send you a purchase order. With PO in hand you can go get your firearm. I didn't notice this anomaly until I was at the FFL's and it was past the inspection period. It's such a clean piece that I didn't really care I just wanted to find a cylinder in .45 Colt and have my smith put things right.

The serial nUmber is 266388, there is an 'H' over the serial number and a 'n' under it at about the center of the serial number string. On the barrel is says: 'NEW SERVICE 45 COLT' (plate side) and on the reverse: 'COLT'S MFG CO. HARTFORD, USA'. It came with the brown plastic checkered grips with silver medallions and the words 'COLT' over the rampant horse. I figured out how to post photos...my camera phone isn't the best but you can get an idea of how clean it is. Thanks again for your help :) Now I won't have to hunt for a cylinder...lol Gun Revolver Trigger
Cylinder Material property Tool accessory Pipe
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
My very late New Service is chambered for 45 A.C.P and marked as such. It is a 1942 production unit according to Wilson. When did they mark them ACP vs. Colt?

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
Those markings on the barrel and the front sight appear to be a post war replacement barrel. The serial number is in the range for the WW1 1917 revolvers. What is on the butt of the gun if anything? Does it appear the lanyard hole is filled in?

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Yes....looks to me to be a post WWII Replacement Barrel ( with a different shape front Sight than the original Barrels, and other small differences also ).

Appears to be re-Blued also ( note Blue Hammer Sides, etc ).

What is there for stampings on the Butt?

Can you post an image showing that part?

Serial Number of 266388 would be early 1920 according to 'Proofhouse'.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,950 Posts
Agree with the two post above. An after the war replacement barrel and the gun looks to have been re-blued. That is why it looks so new. As mentioned above your serial number puts the gun at a 1920 manufacture date.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow! Thank you everyone! And yes, I do think it's a re-blue as the markings are faint from polishing. Also, correct regarding the filled in lanyard hole in the bottom of the grip. There are no other markings however. I have to say it's like a murder mystery with these old colts. The trained eye can decipher it's past...very cool. I've loved these guns since I was a kid. The was a police chief in my town (Neligan) and he was a gun guy. He had this display case on the wall behind his desk with like 20 handguns in it. One of them was a New Service or maybe a 1917 and another was a cap and ball Dragoon. Both guns looked like beautiful and big monsters. I said when I grew up I was going to have them too. OK...I grew up...well mostly I grew up and was able to get them. I have a few others: a pretty one in .455 Eley with reamed out cylinders and the British proofs, a 1917 which I think also was re-blued (were they parkerized or something?), a US marked 1909 in .45 Colt and another NS in 45 Colt (commercial I think). I was able to find a spare cylinder for the British gun in .455 but it doesn't have the proofs. I'll leave it to the next owner to decide what to do. Thank you again folks :) I've enjoyed and appreciate the information! ~John~

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.