Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have inherited my grandfathers collection and I am currently deciding what I'd like to keep and what I'd like to sell. Im trying to compile a list of values, dates, and other info to put together a full documentation of what he had. In my research there seems to be a very wide range that the Colt New Service 455 Eley's are selling for. How can I determine what mine is worth? I also have two other 357's that I am having trouble determining what model of 357 they are and what their worth might be. Could someone help me with the identifying process? I will only have one of the 357's pictured as I have not taken any pictures of the second as of yet.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
"I also have two other 357's that I am having trouble determining what model of 357 they are and what their worth might be."

The 357 is it's own model known as the "ThreeFiftySeven". They were made from 1954 to 1961. Values on a 6" gun in "average condition" without original grips run $600 to $800. The jeweled hammer and trigger on the New Service will hurt the collector value of the gun.

Reactions: jeepnut711

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Your New Service is British military surplus and has been customized, refinished and probably re-chambered to .45 Colt. As such there is no collector value, just a nice shooter. The good news is the stocks, if (and this is a big if) they are genuine and not re-pros, are from an early Python (gold medallion) and worth more that the revolver! The 3-5-7 looks original but needs stocks like on your NS except with silver medallions like these.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Your New Service is British military surplus and has been customized, refinished and probably re-chambered to .45 Colt. As such there is no collector value, just a nice shooter. The good news is the stocks, if (and this is a big if) they are genuine and not re-pros, are from an early Python (gold medallion) and worth more that the revolver! The 3-5-7 looks original but needs stocks like on your NS except with silver medallions like these.
I believe those are genuine Python grips (a few good pictures of the backs would probably confirm this), and I figure the "eBay value" would be in the $600 range in that condition. A very nice bonus. :cool:

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Welcome to the Colt Forum from Arizona. My first thought was - the grips on the two guns are switched. I think to get the most out of the package I would put them back. Rubber grips on the shooter grade New Service and full checkered target grips on the 357.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Welcome to the Colt Forum from Arizona. My first thought was - the grips on the two guns are switched. I think to get the most out of the package I would put them back. Rubber grips on the shooter grade New Service and full checkered target grips on the 357.
That would still be the wrong stocks for the 3-5-7. Gold medallion=Python, a 3-5-7 would have a silver medallion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That would still be the wrong stocks for the 3-5-7. Gold medallion=Python, a 3-5-7 would have a silver medallion.
The other 3-5-7 has the silver medallion. I've got one picture of it. I'll have to head out to my dad's to get more pictures of this one. Thanks for the info!
IMG_20160328_145435146.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe those are genuine Python grips (a few good pictures of the backs would probably confirm this), and I figure the "eBay value" would be in the $600 range in that condition. A very nice bonus. :cool:
I've got some pictures here of all angles of the grips. Thanks for all the info so far!

IMG_20180904_091306.jpg IMG_20180904_091320.jpg IMG_20180904_091326.jpg IMG_20180904_091344.jpg IMG_20180904_094244.jpg

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
Looks to me like your Grandad hogged out the bottom of those Python stocks to fit the New Service, but the stocks are still worth a couple of hundred bucks on eBay. They are repairable too.
I didn't think that the stocks from the Thre Fifty Seven / Python would fit a New Service. I tried to fit a set of stocks from one to the other, but I used Herrett's stocks so I'm only out 20-30 dollars

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Looks to me like your Grandad hogged out the bottom of those Python stocks to fit the New Service, but the stocks are still worth a couple of hundred bucks on eBay. They are repairable too.
I didn't think that the stocks from the Thre Fifty Seven / Python would fit a New Service. I tried to fit a set of stocks from one to the other, but I used Herrett's stocks so I'm only out 20-30 dollars
Got an extra hole at the bottom and it also looks like there's wood glued in at the top. Looks fixable though.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
For some reason I got this idea of altering a set of Herrett's Python stocks to fit the New Service, needless to say it did not work out so well. But I think that these Colt stocks in question might be savable by glass bedding them to whatever revolver one wanted to fit them to. Or just leave them on the New Service.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I have two sets of OMM stocks that were modified to fit NS's. They still fit an E/I frame. All that I had to do was add a spacer to the bottom where they had ben trimmed. They still had the original locator pin hole. They would just wobble without the spacer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for all the info.. It really helps a lot! Im excited to take these to the range and figure out what I like to shoot!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts