Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally got my New Service in .45acp to the range last week. I noticed that it worked well with half-moon clips, but had some issue with full-moon clips. A couple of the ones I used where a little tight in the cylinder to recoil shield fit making it difficult for the cylinder to spin. Is this normal for Colts? Mine was built in 1926 and possibly has a left over cylinder form WWI? Possibly made before full-moon clips existed and made for half-moon clips?

These clips work fine in my S&W model 22-6.

Other than that, it was accurate and reliable.

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
The full moon clips are a later development, and if not dimensionally correct will probably bind. The original half moon clips have plenty of play and work great.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The full moon clips are a later development, and if not dimensionally correct will probably bind. The original half moon clips have plenty of play and work great.
Thanks, that's what I figured. The Rimz's don't work at all.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
In addition, please note that both half-moon and spring clips were designed as a one-use item. They CAN be and ARE re-used (because there is no reason for us to discard them, we aren't on a battlefield) but they are springy and it's easy for them to get bent when popping the empty casings out. So just like a detachable magazine that might get its feed lips bent, they do get a little finicky sometimes through what is normal use for us.

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
I will only use either clips if I take a later manufactured tool along to remove the empties from either clip. Some can be a real pain to remove. I generally shoot without and then use one empty case as a tool to extract any that stick. Of course to really enjoy my 1917 Colt, I shoot 45 AR.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Try and get the Moon Clips from a good US Manufacturer.

Used to be one in Detroit, I forget their name, but theirs were superb.

Cheap ones ( made in china probably and re packaged by whomever in the US ) tend to be low quality Steel and are not hardened and springy enough and will bend too easily, and as others have said, even the slightest bend can make for some unpleasant 'drag' or binding of the Cylinder.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I bought the S&W clips that are only four in a pack, they will not fit the Colt M1917. The Wilson Moon clips sold 5 to a pack through Midway USA work great.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
And the winner is ^^^^^^^^.
Yes exactly. When I had my 1917 I found the aftermarket half moon clips stunk. I did have some full moon ones that worked okay, not sure who made them. But if you reload there is no reason not to use the Auto Rim Cartridge imo, and I'm sure loaded ammo is available.
If can find some original clips or ones made to that spec. you'd be okay.

The problem is that most of the current production clips for the .45 ACP are made for the S & W as Colt hasn't made any .45 ACP DA revolvers since the 1940's.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
And the winner is ^^^^^^^^.
.45 AR takes a lot longer ( roughly five or six times longer ) to re-charge the Cylinder with, than .45 ACP in a 'Full Moon' Clip...so, one's choice may depend on whether one ever wishes to be able to load or re-load the Revolver quickly, verses, quite slowly.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
I used to shoot quite a bit with my Colt m1917 and the only time I ever had any problems with a Moon Clip, was one charged Clip had got bent a little bit while being carried most of a day in my Pocket.

I did have some presumably 'chinese' Moon Clips which I got somewhere, and which I could tell right off were not tempered properly, and so I threw them away without ever using them.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
.45 AR takes a lot longer ( roughly five or six times longer ) to re-charge the Cylinder with, than .45 ACP in a 'Full Moon' Clip...so, one's choice may depend on whether one ever wishes to be able to load or re-load the Revolver quickly, verses, quite slowly.
HKS makes or did make speedloaders for the Auto Rim.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts