Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just aquired a new old colt revolver. It has a 4 1/2 inch barrel, on the left side is marked new service 38 and a ground place with SPEC. stamped. The barrel seems to be sleaved. The grips are bakalite with colt letters.
It also ha a lanyard ring. The ser # is 91XX , as near as I can find it was manufactured around 1903. The guy I got it from said he bought it used 50 years ago. I traded a Beretta 92 FS for the Colt and $150. I think I got the better end of the deal as the Colt has only holster on the end of the barrel, near perfict grips and locks up nice. Can anyone give me any information as to what I have. I am new to the forum and can use all the help I can get. Thanks Charles

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Hi Charles,

Welcome to the Forum!

This sounds pretty interesting...can you post some images of it?

Now and then one does run into New Service which have been converted to some Cartridge other than what they were chambered for originaly.

The New Service did come in .38 Special, but of course, yours sounds like it has been changed over from something larger.

Do the Cylinder Chambers and Bores appear to have been 'sleeved' also?

If you felt like spending the dough for a Colt 'Letter', it would say what the original Chambering was.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trying to learn

I am trying to figure out how this thing works. As for the New Service, The barrel seems to be sleeved but the cylinder does not. I don't know if someone has changed the cylinder or not but the cylinder gap is good. When I figure out how to post pictures I will. On anothe subject I picked up a Mortemer black powder double Supposed to be dated to 1847. I emaculate condition. I said I was a sucker for old guns.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts