Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently acquired a Colt New Service revolver. Serial number dates it to 1915. Gun has about 60% of the blue left, shows some holster wear. Appears to be a 455 elley from the factory. Somebody stamped over it and it says 45 CAL but the 5 is still barely visible. Any idea what its worth? Gun has no pitting and is in great shape other then loss of blue.
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
They'll be some experts on this model along shortly. What I can tell you is that the stocks are not correct for 1915 vintage New Service. They are factory Colt but they are post 1924 production.

Nice gun :cool:

Welcome to the Colt Forum

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
I'm no expert, but I agree stocks aren't original to the gun. Finish looks pretty rough in the picture. Sounds like the gun has been converted to a more common caliber. Can't tell if lanyard loop has been removed or not. If bore is decent and action is good, I would guesstimate value at about $450 to $550. Probably has seen a lot interesting history. As always, JMHO.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Perhaps I'm mistaken but I would expect a barrel shroud where the barrel joins the frame in a 1915 new service. Is there any chance that the barrel was shortened and threaded again? Or maybe a barrel of an earlier design was used? Just asking other members opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input, and thanks for the welcome. Still has the lanyard. The bore and cylinder are both in good condition, and that side has the more wear of the two. Indicating it was holstered quite a bit for a right hand shooter. Anyone else have an estimate on the value?

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Closer images would help to decide if this is a worn, old, re-Blue, or, a worn original Blue.

Images showing the Side Plate edges, the Colt 'Rampant Colt' emblem...the texts stamped on the top of the Barrel...Cylinder Face looking down in.

There were a few different ways of converting...

Anyway, those aspects ( how converted, whether re-blued or not ) can make a difference Value wise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Follow up pics

I don't have a fancy camera, so the pictures aren't good at all. The colt is visible with the naked eye and in decent shape. My camera kind of butchered it though. Don't know how well the other pictures are going to turn out either.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.